CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

DOWN

       RAY WAS MAKING breakfast

RAY WAS MAKING breakfast. Julie could hear him as he sang the song the band performed last night as she walked downstairs. When she reached the kitchen, she also saw Reggie singing along with her dad. Not like he could hear him anyways.

       "This is new," she smiled as she placed her bag on the chair in front of her.

       "Yeah. I was in the mood for cooking some breakfast," Ray motioned to the stove.

       Reggie giggled and pointed towards Julie's dad, "He thought you were talking to him. Me and your dad are pals now. It's a little one-sided, but it works."

       Julie leaned on the table as her dad spoke, "Look, after the talk we had the other night, I was thinking that I may have cost you an opportunity with that manager."

       "Oh, don't worry about that. Lee gave the lady's card to Flynn!" Reggie smiled even though Ray couldn't hear him.

       "And, I know, I know Lee got the card, but I wanted to make it up to you somehow. So, I was thinking—"

       "Dad, no. I should've never snuck out," Julie shook her head.

       "Let the man speak. He's been stress eating since last night." Reggie motions to Ray's stomach, "I don't know where he puts it though. It's, like... firm."

       He sighs, "I know, but I really want to support your band, so I called in some favors, and I booked you guys a local gig." He pointed to his daughter excitedly.

       Reggie backs away with his arms out, "Best dad ever! What?"

       "Oh my gosh. Where? Did you call your buddy from Drakes?" Julie nodded.

       "Not quite. I called Flynn and Liam and they're gonna help us throw a party. Here. Over the weekend. They told me how they are yours and Lee's management team. Very sophisticated about it, too." He thought back to the two being at his front door and Liam was even wearing a suit and tie.

       Julie was surprised, to say the least, "Oh! So you booked us a gig at our house?"

       "Maybe I was early with the 'Best Dad Ever' award," Reggie thought aloud.

       Ray put his hands up in the universal sign for surrender, "All right. Hear me out. You invite some of your friends over, Lee invites some of her friends over, you guys play with your band, and I'll get some of my colleagues to put you on film. That way, you have something professional for your YouTube."

       Julie chuckled fondly, "You'd do that for me?" He agreed as he picked up his mug and walked to the counter to put coffee in it.

       "Back to 'best dad ever'. I'll go tell the guys," Reggie pointed to Julie before poofing away.