CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

UNSAID EMILY

       "WELL, THAT WASN'T just a 'What's up?'" Flynn teased

       The blonde faced them and explained, "Alec wanted to go on a date." They gasped in surprise. She held up her finger up to shush them, "Hold on. I said no."

       Flynn was devastated, "What?"

       "You know what you said. This Luke thing isn't going away any time soon, so I... I figured why waste Alec's time? And besides, I don't like him like that. He's my friend."

       Liam smiled, "Aww! My baby's all grown up."

       "You are older than me by one month! One!" She held up her index finger.

       Flynn cut in, "She's choosing to like someone who doesn't really exist, but she's all grown up."

       "But he does exist," Julie argued, "To her. And he might just be thin air, but they connect in so many other ways. Did you guys miss what happened over the weekend or something?"

       "You are the most watchable duet-ers I've ever seen," Flynn nodded. "Someone should write a book about you two."

       Lee shook her head with a smile, "But it's not just singing. When we write, we're drawing from the same emotions. We both know how it feels to not want to disappoint our moms."

       This reminded Liam of all the times Lee would cry to him, wondering if she could be the reason her mom left. Not once would she blame it on her sister, due to her selflessness. The girl clearly has mommy issues. That's why she clung onto Julie's mom so quickly. She wanted love from a mother.

       "Don't make us cry. I'm having a really good eyeliner day," Flynn patted under her eye with her finger.

       "It's just... Luke's hurting so much," images of him crying on his birthday flashed through her and Julie's minds. "I just wish I could help him."

        Liam jumped at the idea, "Maybe you could write him a song! That would make him feel better! Or, better yet, just sing one of the many songs you already wrote about him," he teased.

       "Oh my gosh, Liam, you're a genius!" Julie kissed his cheek before grabbing Lee's hand and started to run away. Liam stood there wide eyed as Flynn pointed to the pair, "Guys, you still have class."

       "Right," Julie spun them around and walked right past their management team, "Like I said... geniuses."

       As the pair walked through the halls, Lee spoke, "Jules, I love you, and all, but my class is in the other direction. So, can you tell me why Liam is a genius?"