CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

PURPLE JOLTS

       CAROLINE WALKED THROUGH her front door

CAROLINE WALKED THROUGH her front door. She kicked off her shoes and placed them on the shoe rack. She sighed after having the long day she had and walked up the stairs to her room.

       She closed the door once she was through and took out her hair tie. She was about to unclip her bra when she heard movement on her bed. She looked up with wide eyes to see Luke sitting there.

       She screamed and turned around to hide her body from the ghost. "Lee, hunny, you okay?" Her father knocked from the other side of the door.

        Lee took a deep breath before smiling and opening the door, "Yeah, I'm fine. Thought I saw a spider, but I got it." Trevor nodded and kissed her on the head before walking back to his room.

       She sighed and turned around to see Luke covering his eyes with his hands. "You can look now." She rolled her eyes and turned on her light before sitting next to him and reclining onto her headboard, hugging her pillow. "Hey."

       "Hey," he responded barely over a whisper.

       "I'm sorry for overstepping," she apologized.

       He sat up straighter, "No, I... I just had to leave. That was..."

       "You don't have to say anything," Lee shook her head. He doesn't have to explain, she understands.

       "Yeah, I do. Uh..." He swallowed thickly as he thought of the right words to say, "I didn't have many regrets in my life except for running out on my parents. Especially my mom, so..." he nodded, "..thank you."

       She smiled and looked down at her pillow, "You helped me feel more connected to music than the times I shared with my sister and Julie. Two of the most important people to me, so..." she looked back up at him with a big smile, "I wanted to do the same thing for you."

       He moved forward, "That was perfect." One of her arms let go of the pillow as she reached out for his hand, but, it went right through. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and tried again. It started to make her both sad and mad that she wasn't able to touch him or feel his warmth.

       "Wha... What's happening? Why can't I touch you?" She looked to him as if he knew the answer. Water formed in her eyes and she couldn't stop the few tears she let slip.

       Luke had an idea and mumbled to her, "There's something I have to tell you." She waited intently for him to continue, "We figured out that we have unfinished business. That's why we came back as ghosts."

       "Oh..." She sniffled and wiped a tear, "What is it?"

       He shrugged sadly, "We have to play the show we never got to play."