Warm and Snug

"Regulus?"

The voice calling out to him was soft, warm like the downy blanket Regulus buried himself under. He ignored the voice and instead focused in on the book in his lap, lapping up everything as the scent from the holiday candles in the drawing room fluttered through the air.

"There you are," the person continued to speak in the soft, warm like manner. Regulus looked up, book still in lap, knowing better than to ignore one of the adults in the house, although he also knew from the original tone of voice that the person calling out for him was enjoying looking for him.

"Hi."

Orion Black lowered himself to the ground, smiling at the small boy with the rather large book in his lap, the downy blanket pulled over his head. "Did the dining room get to be too loud again?"

"Yes," Regulus responded, book still in lap, but attention now on his father.

"You enjoy your books, don't you?"

Regulus' mouth twisted slightly. "But it's not my book. I got it from your study, like I always do."

It was then, that Orion held out a book to the small boy. "Then perhaps it is time for you to have a book of your own. An early Christmas present."

Regulus looked at the book incredulously. "That's not fair to everyone else, particularly Sirius."

"Yes, well—none of the other children are into books like you are, so it doesn't much make sense to make a big deal out of giving them their first book, now does it?" Orion smiled. Regulus took the books into his hands, his eyes widening with excitement at getting to read something new. He didn't notice when the other members of the Black family came into the room, loud as the Black family was, let alone when Sirius tugged the downy blanket from around his head.

Christmas—it was the one time in the Black family that children were allowed to be children.

~

"Well, some things never change," Regulus leaned against the door frame, a smile spreading across his face, though there was a feeling of sadness in that particular moment.

He'd watched his oldest abscond with a quilt from their bedroom, spreading it out on the floor near the Christmas tree, reminding him of how he never got in trouble for grabbing one of the spare downy blankets around that time, often when the house started getting loud and he wanted away to melt away.

Hermione then proceeded to fetch her youngest sister while Elizabeth stood there, a single finger in her mouth watching in wonder as Hermione hauled Jules over not so gracefully, as if she were in fact nothing more than a quilt to be hauled. Hermione took off then to fetch something else and Juliet started to crawl away from the blanket, intent on exploring the bright colors decorating the Granger home for the holidays.

It would be her first Christmas where she was capable of interacting with things.

Hermione came back with a stack of book—the Christmas books given to the children by their Grandpa Richard and Uncle Hamlet and set them on the quilt, before hurrying after Juliet and pulling her back over to the blanket and plopping her down. She was off to fetch something else while Juliet was off on another crawl. Elizabeth stood there, watching the entire time.

Hermione came back hauling yet another big quilt and plopped it down, before taking off after Juliet again. She carried her sister in that awkward manner young children carry their toddler siblings. This time, she plopped down, situating Juliet in her lap. A giggle erupted from the toddler at this, but continued as Hermione pulled the blanket over her head.

She reached for a book, then suddenly realized something was missing under the quilt. She turned to look at Elizabeth. "Are you coming?"

Elizabeth lowered her finger. "But daddy always reads the Christmas stories to us."

"Daddy won't mind."

Elizabeth looked on, hesitant as Hermione started to read one of the books to her youngest sister.

Then, quick as a flash she dashed over, not wanting to be left out, snuggling next to her sister while knocking over the stack of books. Juliet giggled, fingers then pointing to the various pictures in the book. None of the girls realized he was there, watching them, but then—he'd developed quite the skill of going unnoticed around Grimmauld place, so as to not attract attention that would result in getting chewed out for who knew what, although—he never did get chewed out for the things he did.

"How are you doing, Rabbit?"

Regulus jolted, turned his head to look at Olivia. "Good."

"You're always in a good mood this time of year."

"Yes, well—" He nodded towards the girls and all the Christmas decorations that surrounded them. "I don't have many good memories growing up in the Black household, but Christmas—there's not a single bad memory. And, sometimes I think—"

"Think what?"

"My dad wasn't the best father. Quite absent, to be honest. But, the times I did interact with him, that I remember interacting with Orion. They were always pleasant. Same with my grandfather, though I wonder how much of that is because I rarely did interact with either one of them. The rest of the family—"

"You don't have to answer that. Just enjoy the moment, with our girls," Olivia said, leaning against his arm, smiling at the three girls. Hermione continued reading to her younger sisters, both of them drawn into her childlike voice. Suddenly, Olivia said, "Why don't you join them?"

Regulus turned to look at her, eyes wide, a smirk forming on his face.

She smirked back. "I will not be joining you. This is your moment with the girls. I'll go make some treats, bring them back and enjoy the moment from the couch."

"Are you sure?"

"It's so obvious you want to join them, and—" She nodded her head back to the girls, who had noticed now their presence. "And I think the girls want you to join them as well."

Regulus walked over. The guilt needed to be moved, but soon he had both Hermione and Juliet in his lap while Elizabeth leaned against him. "So, where were we?"

"I left off here," Hermione pointed.

"You're not going to read?"

"I'll take the next one," Regulus replied. "Would you like to read one Lizzy?"

Elizabeth shook her head before snuggling in close. The stories he read his children—they were different than the books he snuggled up with around Christmas time, yet—there was something about the experience, of sitting there reading to his children, of his girls reading to him that he didn't want to let go. Olivia brought snacks, and true to word sat at the side, enjoying every moment as well.

🎉 Du hast UDM: Granger Christmas Yet - Warm and Snug (Harry Potter Fanfic) fertig gelesen 🎉