CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

THIN AIR

       JULIE RAN OUT of the dressing room

JULIE RAN OUT of the dressing room. Flynn and Liam chased after her. She was a sobbing mess and needed fresh air. She pushed out of the side door and breathed in the Hollywood air. Not that it was the freshest, but it was better than that stuffy room.

Anyone watching from afar would think that she was talking to herself, but in reality, "I don't know if you can hear me, mom, but..." she holds back a sob and shakes her head, "...I can't handle it. Lee isn't here with me, and I'm losing it. I already lost you and I..." another sob, "...I can't lose my best friend, too. I mean, you always took care of Lee, like she was your second daughter. We were both there for her that day when she came crying about how her mom left. And we have been there for her ever since. I made sure to be by her side, but I..." Julie puts her head in her hands as she sobs harder, "...I lost her, mom."

"Flynn mentioned signs to Lee and I could really use one from you, mom." The girl continues to sob uncontrollably. A women passes her then stops and turns around. She tapped Julie on the shoulder and gave her one of the flowers from her paper bag. Julie smiled as a thanks to the woman before she walked away. And as she got a good look at the flower, she realized what type it was. Dahlias. Her mom's favorite.

In the auditorium, Lee's father and sister found seats beside each other. The two had been worried for hours that she hasn't responded to them, but Carrie played it off as if she was too busy getting ready to check her phone. Her dad had finally calmed down from worrying about his daughter's safety and that was around the time they had left for the show.

Off stage, Julie walked back in. She went right up to Flynn and held out the flower, "Signs." She began to walk onto the stage with the flower in hand as the announcer spoke over the speaker. "Welcome to Live at the Orpheum. Now give it up for Ju-Lee and the Phantoms." The crowd cheered but those who have seen their many performances questioned where the blonde girl could be.

Julie placed the flower on her keyboard as she spoke into the mic, "Hi. I'm Julie. Um... Tonight, Lee and I decided that we would dedicate this song to my mom, who always treated her like a second daughter. My mom has been there for the both of us through good times and bad, and was always there for us when it involved music. We'd also like to dedicate tonight's performance to... three special friends... who have changed our lives for the better, and brought music back to the both of us."

In the audience, Trevor moved around in his seat at the mention of these three special friends. Julie sighed, holding back tears, "And lastly, I'd like to dedicate this song to the writer herself. Without my best friend, I wouldn't be on this stage in front of all of you. She is my motivation and I am grateful that she chose me, as her best friend." She held onto her microphone tightly, "This song is all about surprises. People will pop in and out of your life. But it is your job to figure out which one is worth staying. Thank you."