chapter 1

‘’ come on Tamara , Its only a semester left , after your graduation you will join me here in Dubai for the holiday and trust me we will explore this mighty place together. Just promise me that you will finish your law degree and graduate’’.  My sister’s words echoed back in my ears
But how could she have died before fulfilling my promise.

My mother said that she was involved in a car accident and died on the spot.  Luckily my mom arrived in Dubai before her burial and she could see all the bruises that were on her face that one could not deny that she was really involved in an accident.

I could not attend her funeral as I was busy with my final exams back in Zimbabwe. Okay let me introduce myself properly.  I am Tamara James a black coloured born from a Zimbabwean Mother and a British father. My mom was now a widow but my father made sure that we were part of his will.

My late sister Teal was left with an Estate in Cape plus some bonds. So yes we were freaking rich but on my side, what our dad left us with was none of my business because I believed in hard sweat not with the inheritance properties that’s why I was studying law.

Tael had married her husband Three years back. I did not even like that guy, he was just bossy and all sort of staff. His movements were very suspicious but my sister had all her faith in him.

I mourned my late sister alone. I don’t know how I was going through with my exams but what I really knew was that I was not in my right senses. Without seeing it the semester was over and I could not wait to join my mom for a holiday in South Africa. Since the death of my sister, my mom moved in to our old house in Boksburg. She claimed that Tael’s childhood memories were nicely crotched in that house.

I could not dispute that because all I wanted was for my mom to have inner peace. “The flight was tiresome I bet’’, that was my mom speaking whilst giving me a hug. “Not as much mom, in fact I am glad that I joined you here’’, I smiled at her whilst patting her back. I could see only sorrow in her eyes but I did not want to spoil her mood by asking what the sadness was all about because I knew she was still mourning.
“It’s a pity that you could not attend your sister’s funeral child’’; I could feel the tension that was in my mom’s tone. I ignored and acted like I heard nothing because truly what I needed was a nice cold bath after my flight not my sister’s death story.
We arrived home and I headed straight to my room.

“Take a quick shower Mara and come here for dinner”, that was my mom shouting on top of her voice. I took a quick shower and wore my track pants, the ones that Tael had bought for me in Turkey. I went straight to the dining and saw that my mom had served dinner already. I grabbed my plate and turned “where to Mara?’’ my mom asked.  “ To my room mom”, I answered whilst frowning.

I was avoiding having dinner with my mom because I knew that she was going to bring back the issue of my late sister.“You just came back from Zimbabwe today and you want to eat alone huh? At this moment I knew that I was not going to win over her so the best thing was to d what she really wanted. “You are the one I’m left with Tamara therefore let’s make this moments count’.

I hugged her and kissed her forehead “ trust me mom, I won’t leave your side neither will I leave Tael’s side’’, I could see that my mom was puzzled and blank but I chose not explain anything to her.