Family Madrigal

[ slightly edited ]

"Morning, abuelo!" you could hear Mirabel greet the picture of Abuela's esposó as she slid down the stairs of La Casita. You were out of your room already, the heat of your fuego flickering at your heels as you dashed down the steps behind Mirabel. All windows of the casita opened to let in the sunlight as you and Mirabel made your way to set the dining table.

You felt happy that morning, but you could almost feel the frown on Mirabel's face before she even greeted you. Despite that, she looked over at you with a smile. "Buenos días, hermana!" she exclaimed happily. You flashed her a wide grin. "Buenos días!"

She gave you one last smile before rushing to grab the plates as la casita tipped the case to make the plates fall in her direction. She caught all but one, and you captured it before it fell to the ground. She chuckled nervously under your pointed gaze.

The children outside screamed their heads off at you two as Mirabel began setting the table. "My primo's gift ceremony is tonight," she reassured the hyperactive kids. "WHAT'S HIS GIFT!?" one kid hollered, balancing a cup of coffee in his hands. You laughed. "That's what we're waiting to find out, calm down, niño!" you yelled. Mirabel nodded.

"What's YOUR gift!?" the niña questioned, staring at Mirabel. She smiled, setting down the last plate after you. "Who's askin'?" she teased. You rolled your eyes fondly. "US!" the kids yelled in unison. "We can't only talk about ourselves!" you butted in, smiling when Mirabel gave you a thankful grin. "There are many, many other members of our family!"

"AND WHO ARE THEY!?" the kids yelled once more. Mirabel sighed dramatically. "You just aren't letting it go, huh?" she clicked her tongue. "Casita, a little help?" she said. "Drawers!" just as she yelled, the drawers began moving in and out. Mirabel sprinted into the main hall. "Floors!" the floor tiles began to shift and move. "Doors!" everyone's door glowed in sync, earning a smile from you as you made your way back to your room.

"This is our home; we've got every generation!" she sang, knocking a few times on her primo Camilo's door before walking up to Dolores'. "So full of music, a rhythm of its own design!" she continued, bumping her hip against Dolores's door before going up and opening Isabela's door. "This is my family, a perfect constellation!" she sang, using her arms to 'showcase' Isabela as she sat up in her bed, her hair flowing as a spotlight surrounded her.

"So many stars and everybody gets to shine!" she sang, running up to Luisa as she used the casita floors as a treadmill and lifted weights simultaneously. "Woah!" Mirabel laughed as the floors dragged her away and into Abuela's door just before she walked out. "Let's be clear: Abuela runs this show!" Mirabel sang and backed away as everyone else came out of their rooms. "She led us here so many years ago!" you had also come out of your room, nodding at Isabela and grinning when she smiled back.

You danced along with the others, humming along to her lyrics. "And every year, our family blessings grow!" Mirabel continued to sing as Casita poured tea into everyone's cups before each family member grabbed them. Yours had been coffee instead of tea to keep you going throughout the day. "There's just a lot you've simply got to know, so!-" Mirabel opened the doors to la casita expressively, running out as everyone flooded after her. "Welcome to the family, Madrigal!" she sang, dancing as everyone walked past her. "The home of the family, Madrigal!" she spun around as Casita 'danced' with her.

"We're on our way!" she trotted off to the others, turning around to wave at the casita. "Where all the people are fantastical and magical!" she sang, shrugging her shoulders as she turned and walked off. "I'm part of the family, Madrigal!" the kids from earlier squeezed through the crowd and huddled around Mirabel. "Oh my gosh, it's them!"