Chapter 1

Peter was never a social kind of guy. He rather stayed at home and read a book or just went out for a walk alone, instead of going out with his friends. A room crowded with strangers always made him feel slightly nauseous, his palms sweaty and his eyes darting all over the place.
That's what he felt when he entered the room filled with people. Actually he just wanted to turn on his heels and leave, but Goran, who was walking behind him, pushed him forwards. Being nominated for the A-Team right from the beginning for the first time, he hardly knew any other jumpers besides his teammates, who went to greet their friends and so he ended up sitting next to his coach, who was passionately discussing the new start of the season and bunch of other things with the rest of the staff and trainers. Honestly, he didn't follow their conversation and just observed the room, drinking a glass of orange juice that he took earlier at the serving table. This get-together was something traditional, an opening of a new season. You could hear the loud chattering and laughing, booming around the quite large space. Peter looked around. The room was huge since it was actually the ball room of the hotel in Lillehammer. The people working here kindly lend it to them for this celebration. The other Slovenians sat with the polish team and he heard them laughing and trying to speak eachothers language. Eventually Jernej came up to him, asking him to join them, but Peter just said he was fine and told him to go back and enjoy himself.
But his fellow teammates weren't the only ones who noticed him.

--------------------------

Kamil took a gulp of his beer and licked his already wet lips. He was sitting on a cushioned bench behind a table, with some of his polish ski jumper teammates; Jan Ziobro, Alexander Zniszczoł, Piotr Zyla and Maciej Kot. The table wasn't that big, so he was squished between Jasiek and Jurij Tepeš, a slovenian ski jumper. Besides Jurij, there was also Jernej Damjan and Robert Kranjec. Kamil's eyes slid through the crowd and he spotted a lanky boy, sitting next to the slovenian coach. He looked quite lost, his gaze was wandering through the room. As their eyes met, Kamil gave him a warm smile, that the young looking guy returned half-heartedly.The polish boy thought about walking up to him, but he was distracted by his teammate, Jasiek, who had just spilled his beer on his trousers from laughing so hard over Robert's imitation of Walter Hofer and started laughing along, forgetting about the boy.

Kamil was a very kind and open minded person who enjoyed being with other people. He had established himself in the worldcup and his fellow jumpers had become a second family to him. There was just one thing he missed during the long season; his girlfriend, Karolina, whom he has been dating for three years now.

Being a ski jumper has its ups and downs. One of the biggest downs was being seperated from your family and the ones you love. Sure, Kamil had some of his family - his teammates by his side, but the thought of being able to cuddle up to his girlfriend before he went to sleep, made his heart ache. He exhaled slowly and flicked at his bottle. But surrounded by his fellow ski jumpers who really were the most ridiculous people he had ever met, especially when they were in groups, he couldn't stay gloom for long.

"Ey, Kamil, why so serious?" Piotr asked and laughed his goat-like laugh. "What is it that worries you?"

"I'm worried that you'll have such a bad headache tomorrow that you'll screw up the competition," he replied.

"Eh, i would rather be worried about Łukasz..." Piotrek pointed to the trainers table where the polish and the slovenian head coach tried to sing something. He couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be.

"Eh tam, he will manage, he can drink quite a lot. Which one can't say of you," Kamil said and turned around to Maciej, who blushed.

"Stop reminding me of this!" Maciek groaned.

As Kamil observed his trainer, he noticed that the tall boy wasn't sitting next to Łukasz and Goran anymore and as he searched the room with his eyes he couldn't find him anywhere.

------------------------

Peter exhaled a white cloud of breath and pulled the jacket around him closly. It was late, the dark sky wrapping around the cold night. He was leaning against an uncomfortable wall, outside the hotel. After a while of drinking the weird tasting juice at the party, he decided to just get up and leave the room. So now here he was, looking at the stars. After a while of standing there and being lost in his thoughts, Peter's legs went numb, his fingers stiff from the cold.

"It's a bit chilly out here, isn't it?" an unknown voice said. He turned to his right and saw a short guy around his age. Peter pursed his lips and nodded.

"Yes, I guess." The non familiar boy stepped up to him and extended his arm.

"I'm Anders Fannemel. I'm on the Norway team." Peter took a hold of Fannemel's hand and shook it.

"I'm Peter Prevc, Slovenian team." Fannemel smiled, his teeth showing.

"You seemed a little lost back there," Anders commented.

The taller boy flushed a bit. "I didn't think anyone noticed me."

Peter's mind went back to the party and he remembered one of the jumpers who was sitting with the rest of the slovenian team, who smiled at him. Peter scrunched his nose, trying to remember his face.

"You okay there," said Fannis, "it looks like you're having a cramp."

Peter relaxed his face and started laughing, Anders joining in. Soon enough they were both leaning against the wall, the taller boy telling Fannemel about how he ended up in the A team. Anders whistled under his breath.

"That's quite impressive that you were chosen so soon."

Peter shrugged."I guess."

Anders chuckled and looked at him. "You're not really a people person are you?" Both of them laughed quietly.

"It's not that. I'm just not very good at conversations or meeting new people and making friends," Peter replied.

"Well, you've just made a friend and there's no turning back now," Fannemel replied.

Peter faked a sigh."No turning back at all?"

"Nope, you're stuck with me forever." Anders smiled his full smile again and Peter couldn't help but smile back.

"Come on, I'll introduce you to the rest of the Norway team."

With that, they both pushed themselves from the wall; the taller boy a little bit hesitant. Fannemel turned around and raised his eyebrows.

"Come on mister giant, it'll help you to get out of your skin for a bit."

Pero started walking.