1. On a whim

A/n: Hey guys! Welcome back! Quick thing before you read: Y/n uses they/them pronouns and Sunny uses He/They. Same with Moon!! Anywho, let's get into it!
————————————————————————-
"Seriously?!" I questioned tiredly at my mother who was sitting across from me at the restaurant booth.
"Yes, Y/n. This wasn't just a lunch outing at El Chip's, this was intended to be an intervention! I am putting my foot down here. You've been out of college for 3 weeks now, and I'm sick and tired of just seeing you mope around the house all day. I just- I just can't stand it! You've got to get ahold of yourself and you need to get a job." She spoke sternly at me, as though I were still a small child. I rolled my eyes, obviously I had heard this speech numerous times the past few weeks.
"And what if I don't? You don't seem to care when I tell you a job interview didn't go well."
"Then I'll pick one for you. There's a spot open for an intern at my job, you can help me wipe old people's asses if that's how you're going to be." She replied simply, as though she had put a lot of thought into this, which I assumed she had. I immediately shook my head, not wanting to have to work as a CNA like her. I'd probably vomit if I was being completely honest.
I sighed. "Alright, I suppose I'll find something. When's my deadline?" I questioned, assuming it would be the same old thing again.
"I feel like I've been going too easy on you. If you're really serious about it this time, then at least getting an interview scheduled by tomorrow won't be any trouble." She said, her eyebrows raised, daring me to speak up against her about it. "As a young woman you need to figure all of this out." I groaned at her words. "Young person, mom. Please." I said calmly, correcting her for misgendering me, a mistake she made quite often unfortunately. "Yes, yes, young person. Anyways, tomorrow. And you're paying the bill. It's time you start taking some initiative for the sake of your old ma." Her hard expression softened as she gave me a joking smile, nudging me as she stood up, grabbing her coat. "I have to get back to work now sweetie, please don't come home without some sort of interview scheduled or-or something. I just don't want you to end up like one of those creeps who live in their parent's basement even though they're adults. You can be so much more than that. I love you hon." She finished her short monologue and walked out of the restaurant and down the escalator, exiting the food court and then the Pizzaplex. "But I have my own house!" I thought to myself.
I buried my head in my hands. What the hell was I going to do? There was no way I could find a job by tomorrow. I looked out one of the large windows beside our booth that overlooked the rest of the Pizzaplex. I remember when this place opened a few years ago. I was around 16. There were so many rumors and lore surrounding this very building, but I couldn't help but feel drawn to it. I was never afraid of it here, nor was I afraid of the animatronics that freely roamed. The ones that I had met were nice enough and they seemed to be friendly towards all of the guests. My personal favorite was Freddy, since he was the first one I met. He gave me a big hug upon our first meeting, and I felt a sense of security while spending time with him. He was super cool.

And amidst my thoughts, that's where I saw it. A huge glowing sign sprouting with neon colors:

LOOKING FOR A JOB? FAZBEAR ENTERTAINMENT CAN HELP!! BECOME AN ASSISTANT AT OUR ALL-NEW SUPERSTAR DAYCARE! NOW HIRING! VISIT THE DAYCARE FOR DETAILS. LOCATED IN THE ATRIUM AND UP THE STAIRS TO THE RIGHT.

My eyebrows raised in interest. At this point, I would have applied to any job, as long as it wasn't gross. But...this seemed to be exactly what I had been looking for. I had gone to college for child care and maintenance, so this would be a perfect fit for me. It would meet mom's criteria too, so that would make her happy. I left the cash on the table and made my way towards the daycare.

I just hoped this job would make me happy too.

____________________________________

"Well...let me see here..." the blonde woman sitting in front of me muttered. She clicked a few buttons on her computer keyboard, her eyes searching the screen. She had told me her name was Vanessa and that she was head of security. She continued to tell me that as such, it was required of her to do a background check on me in order to allow me to begin work. The kind woman at the daycare front desk had liked what she read on my resume that I had been keeping close by (upon mom's request) and  agreed that I was most definitely certified for the job. Of course this woman had to come strolling through the daycare, insisting that I have a background check performed by her. Thus far, she had been quite annoying to me. I could have been out of here sooner if it hadn't been for her. Not only that, something about her seemed...off. Like she was up to something or as though she had some sort of secret. I tried asking her about the Pizzaplex to make small talk as she escorted me to her office, and most of her answers were one-worded and/or very closed off. I even asked if anyone had worked at the daycare before me and if they were still around so I could ask them for some pointers. Vanessa's response to this really weirded me out. "Oh, that poor thing. She worked herself to death in there. Of course, she always had such a handful after-hours."
Her words would have almost sounded normal if it weren't for the cadence in which she spoke them.

Almost.

"Annnd...done! You seem to be a great fit for the job. I look forward to...working with you in the future." She said, an almost too-friendly smile plastered on her face as she reached out her hand for me to shake. A shiver ran up my spine as my eyes met hers. I reluctantly shook her hand, her grip surprisingly firm.

After exchanging a few more words, I practically bolted out of the security office. I sure as hell did not want to run into her often.
_________________________________

I rushed back down the stairs and found myself back at the daycare. The older woman whom I had spoken to earlier looked to be about 70. She was the one who read over my resume. She told me that once I passed the small background check Vanessa did (which I doubt was anything at all since it took like 10 minutes) I should come back down and she would show me where things were and give me my uniform so I could start tomorrow. As I strolled back towards her desk, she waved at me and gave me a smile.
"You made it!" She said happily. She seemed so enthusiastic, even though it was only a job. But she seemed so sweet. "Welcome to the job. I'm Millie, by the way. I sometimes come in and read stories to the children to settle them down. Sunny likes listening to them, too!" She said with a chuckle, standing up and adjusting her glasses. Her grey hair was pulled back into a low ponytail and her eyes were a dazzling blue-green. She was in awfully good shape to be the age she looked to be.
"Wait, um...who's Sunny? Is she another person I'll be working with?" I asked, confused.
"Oh no, honey! Sunny is who you'll be working for, in a sense. He's like...well you're the daycare assistant, and he's the daycare attendant. In other words, he's really the one who does most things here. I'm just here to welcome guests, help new members sign up, and to read stories. It's a grandma thing." She said with a small wink after her explanation.
I nodded in response. She crossed over in front of me, leading me to a door that read 'STAFF ONLY'.
"This is the break room, and where you'll clock in and out every day. You don't have to worry about what time you want to take your break, Sunny claims to not need one, so they just stay with the children the entire time." Millie narrated. I nodded and took note of a few things I'd need to remember.
Millie led me in and out of a few more rooms and showed me around the theatre before we made it to the daycare laundry room, where a series of colorful uniforms were hung on a rack. Millie pulled one off of a hanger. It was a collared white t-shirt with little suns all over it, and on the front it read in colorful lettering 'SUPERSTAR'. It came with a pair of orange overall-shorts with a belt and a matching orange bow tie. It was honestly kinda cute.
"Here dear, this one should fit you just right." Millie said warmly, holding it out to me. I took it from her, voicing my appreciation.
"Oh, I almost forgot. Let's go get you acquainted with Sunny before you leave, Y/n. He'll be so excited to hear that they'll finally have someone to help them with all the little ones." The old woman said cheerfully, letting me put my uniform in the break room along with my other stuff before leading me through the giant wooden doors of the daycare. I looked around in awe. Seeing all the ginormous play structures up close was dizzying. I'd hate to get lost in one.
"You stay right here, dear. I'll go get that little darling sunshine." She said happily, walking around the corner and out of view, but not out of earshot. I could see quite a few children gathered around someone, but I couldn't see who. I heard Millie's voice announce, "Sunny dear, would you mind coming over here for a moment? There's someone I'd like you to meet!"
Suddenly I heard an excited and extremely loud shriek come from where Millie disappeared off to. "OH BOY! Is...Is it a new friend?!" The voice asked. They sounded ecstatic. I assumed it was Sunny. His voice sounded sort of funny for some reason. It sounded like he was using a talkbox, maybe to entertain the kids?
"Yes, it is! They've come to help you with the children, and they start tomorrow!"
"Oh WOW! A new FRIEND! I wanna go see them right NOW!" His reaction earned several laughs from the children. I smiled softly. Whoever this person was, he was really good at their job.
I heard footsteps coming towards me along with the sound of bells, and I glanced up in their direction. My expression changed when I saw who, or rather what was literally somersaulting around the corner.
Now I understood why his name was Sunny. Or at least his nickname.
Coming towards me was not a human, but an animatronic about 7 feet tall, with a lanky frame and a bright sunshine smile.
No literally. His head was literally a smiling sun.

"Ho Ho Hoooo! A new friend!" He exclaimed excitedly, stretching his arms out and enveloping me in a hug.
_________________________________

A/n: So that was the first chapter! I hope you
guys enjoyed! I got the uniform inspo from another Sundrop fic called "Ours" by @psychosis_writings. You should totally check their story out too it's so good 🥺 Anyways I'll see you all in the next chapter!!! Paradise out!