What is it called when you want something you can't have? [bruno oneshot]

Bruno looked out from the small crack behind the family tree, sitting at his little makeshift table with his rat friends. While they ate some of the food Bruno had given them, he was absorbed in the conversation happening at the dinner table as his family ate. It almost made him feel like he was part of the family again.

Part of the family again..

He sighed quietly, his head resting on his hand as he looked longingly through the slit in the wood for just a bit longer. When the pain became too much, he had to look away.

Bruno turned his attention to the rats once more. He loved feeling like he was part of the family again, but it always hurt afterwards when he knew that he wasn't. He wasn't welcome. He could still hear the rumors. The ones making him out to be some horrifying monster who purposefully ruined people's days and lives with his visions.

He had to admit, it hurt.

Bruno thought back to his sister's wedding. He wished Pepa had known he wasn't giving her a vision.. that he was just trying to lighten the mood. She had seemed so nervous at her wedding, he'd wanted to help. But he only made it worse. He always made it worse..

At least Isabela remembered the vision they shared about her future. He smiled, remembering that day like it had happened just yesterday. She was so excited, so happy. And so was he. He wanted that happiness again.

One of the rats clambered onto his hand, noting the absent look on his face. He came back to reality and smiled at the small rodent, gently scratching the side of its face. "I'm okay." He whispered, the animal looking at him with squinted eyes.

The rat ran off, seemingly satisfied with his answer. He returned to looking distant. He held his head in his hands, shutting his eyes and whispering to himself.

"...I'm not okay."

[yeah so I might write more of this if you guys like it]