1.

The letter just lain there on the dinner table as I stare down at the half eaten breakfast I left this morning.

Mom came in the living room with coffee in her left hand, and a bundle of dry cleaning clothes wrapped up in plastic in the other.

"Mama. Are we still going through with this?" I muttered, my voice full of deepest reverence. She smiled and nodded.

"Yes, Gabe! Baby if you give this school a chance, you may not actually regret the decision to want to go! I would have killed to get this opportunity to get into this school, you do know that-"

"That this is a very prestigious African American school that isn't like a traditional HBCU that sprouted from the south, I know. I know mama." I huffed in annoyance. Mama gave me a look, and I straightened up my posture as I stared back at her.

"This is only a tour of the school, and a meeting with some of the students. Don't worry about it so much! You got accepted, that school is so highly exclusive that only like what 7 or 8 families go there? That's crazy!"

"It's 10." Gabriel replied.

"So you've been doing your research! See, you'll be there and thriving in no time." Mama said, she kissed my cheek and brushed past me heading into the kitchen.

The truth is, I had no idea how I got into this highly exclusive school because I never applied.

I mean sure my grades are decent, but not enough for the academic excellence they are looking for Odina University. I mean, tampering with admissions of ANY school is big enough to be a federal offense, so there must be some mistake.... I am damn near an outcast going to a school that doesn't seem to understand me. Blending in and not being seen is my strong suit, I'm not even sure that I have that many pictures in the yearbook this year. So as far as I'm concerned, this admissions letter shouldn't have been sent to me and there's another Gabriel McClaire out there that's missing their acceptance letter.

One things for sure, I am not gonna tell my mother about the fact that I didn't apply.

"Gabe baby, you have a week to pack. Don't put it off, and I'm sorry we're taking a few days off of your spring break." Mama yelled from the kitchen. I didn't care, it's not like people were gonna miss me or that I had spring break plans.

Small knocks were placed on the front door and I jogged downstairs to answer. I opened it and was immediately bombarded with a big hug from a person I know all too well.

"Cherilyn why do you do this to me every time you see me?" I say as she smothers me with her embrace. At least she smells like cinnamon, she always smells so good.

"You know I love to bother my best friend every chance I get! Where's mama?" She says in a cheerful tone.

"I'm in here Cher!" Mama says in the kitchen. She pushes past me and runs upstairs into the kitchen.

I sigh and close the door, and jog up to meet my mother and best friend in the kitchen.

"Gabe, you didn't tell Cher that you're gonna be out of town for the first part of the break?" She said with deep confusion. Cherilyn on the other hand was shooting daggers at my direction and I shift my weight from one leg to the other.

"I thought I did....you s-sure that I didn't tell you Cherilyn-"

"Don't start stuttering on me now Gabriel! Why didn't you tell me you gotten accepted into Odina University? That's a big deal dude!" She exclaimed. Mama started silently chucking behind her, not willing to back me up or help me in my case at all.

I blew a puff of air out of my nostrils, and smiled in a nervous manner. She narrowed her eyes at me and rolled them. I watched as she skipped into my room and I followed her in after.