Stormy Days and Stormy Nights

The rain poured down onto the top of your hoodie, though you could barely feel it through the layer of thick material. Walking home from school the gray clouds covered the sky like a cold wet blanket, smothering any joy that tried to shine through it. It was funny, like the weather was mimicking the sour mood you were in. Hilarious even, until the rain made you feel damp and miserable, like a wet rat with no cheese.

You kicked a rock on your path and watched as it skipped into the ditch besides the sidewalk you were brooding on. As it landed in the muddy water, you thought about kicking a certain someone from school in the same way. What would that solve? You think to yourself. Probably nothing, but hey, it would definitely make you feel better.

    The day wasn't completely terrible at least. You woke up on time and didn't miss your alarm per usual, giving you time to actually eat breakfast, then you had more then enough time to get ready and not miss the bus. Though now you wish you had, because you would have avoided a whole lot of conflict.

As you walk onto the bus you stare at the floor trying to avoid making eye contact with anyone. You had never been one of the popular girls. Always the social outcast, different. While other girls were having crushes and talking about their makeup routines, you were too busy planning your acting career. But what did it matter anyway? You were never going to get a lead. Veronica was the director's pet. Like a stupid little toy poodle that pooped in your purse. She would always get the better role. So she would definitely get Juliet in the upcoming play, everyone knew it.

But still, that wouldn't crush your dreams. It was the senior year of high school, and you would try your best to get Juliet, even if it would all be for nothing. Maybe you could be a side character, that would at least be better then Squirrel Number two in Willy Wonka.

You hopped up the bus steps and tried to sit down on your usual seat, only to find it was taken.

"What do you think you're doing, Floor Potato?"

Veronica Winters, the bane of your existence. Venom practically dripped from her bleached teeth as she looked at you like a dead bug on her designer shoes. Picture a burnt Barbie with bleached white hair and the fakest smile you've ever seen. That, is Veronica Winters.

Floor Potato. God you hate that nickname. One mishap in gym involving a potato and suddenly you have no name for the rest of your school existence. Go figure.Veronica must have thought herself a famous poet after spouting her stupid nonsense about you. Ever since then you've had to live with that stupid nickname, and lord help you if you ever eat anything made with potatoes.

"I'm just trying to take my seat Veronica, I always sit here." You say exasperated.

She scrunched up her punchable face and laughed like nails on a chalkboard. You couldn't tell if You wanted to cover your ears or sew her mouth shut.

"Go sit somewhere else loser, this is my seat now."

What did you ever do to her? You had known her since you were two years old and had even been friends for awhile. Then, after her fourteenth birthday party, she had dropped you like a bad habit. I guess she was too cool to hang out with a loser like you. Instead she found a new friend in Megan Meghan, the most popular girl in school.

You simply sighed and went to the back to sit alone. At least you had peace right? Wrong. Moments later Cabbage Breath Brad came and sat directly next to you. If only you could rip your nose off. He smelled like if a gas station and a sewer had a baby, and that baby needed a change of diaper and a spritz of febreeze.

After that fun bus ride it was one mishap after the other. Being late to class after tripping and spilling your books out in the parking lot, hitting your head on a pole as you ran, then finally, tripping yet again in front of the love of your life, Izuru Kamukura.

That had been the nail in the coffin. You had almost died from the embarrassment. It wasn't enough that You were probably a loser in his eyes, and also so ordinary with your plain brown hair and stupid brown eyes. Or the fact that you couldn't say a single sentence to him without feeling the urge to rip out your own vocal chords. But you had to go and trip in front of him, spilling your books yet again, and oh God, your actor's journal. You didn't see it on the ground, thank goodness, so it must not have dropped.

After you collected most of your books you looked up at him. He towered over you, his long black hair almost touching the ground. He always wore a suit to school, and man was it hot. Both in a handsome way, and also wearing a suit in the middle of summer way. He was dramatic like that, and you loved him for it. He looked down at you and raised an eyebrow, then walked away with all the grace of a model, taking your breath away. You hurriedly collected the rest of your belongings and rushed away. Praying you didn't leave anything behind.

After that you made it through the rest of the day without many problems. Getting through theater practice and the rest of your classes pretty smoothly. Though the embarrassment of that encounter followed you all day. Even now, as you walked through the pouring rain, you cringed at the memory.

He was never gonna notice me, let alone love me. You think solemnly, wishing it weren't true. But how on earth would he even speak to you if you never spoke to him? And that was definitely not happening. Or so you thought. Because at that moment an encounter was about to happen that would change the course of your life forever.

As you turned the corner to head into your neighborhood, there he was. Izuru, holding an umbrella and standing there, like he was waiting for you. And when you see what's in his hand you pale and realize he is waiting for you.

He's got your journal.