001

Daexia, a kind loving Maori girl with beautiful brown skin. She had mana pride and respect for her people. She loved them. She had the words that were good enough to be put in a book of meaningful words. She had beautiful brown eyes that shin in the sun, so beautiful that no one could ever compare her to a blue eyed girl.

But she hated.

She hated herself, her looks, her skin most specifically her skin.

When she was little she believed that if she scrubbed hard enough, her skin would be more fair.

She thought she looked like dirt.

Old women thought so too.

When she was five, an old women said she looked like the dirt from her garden. She thought that because the old women was older, she knew better.

She had the skin of her people. Her Maori family.

She looked like her great grand mother. A female Maori warrior.

She had the skin the lips the eyes the body

She had the skin the lips the eyes the body. She had everything but the nose. She got her nose from her dad. It was small. That was her favourite feature. She had the hair, which she hated the most. It was long, it reached up to her lower back. It was curly and beautiful. To her people, anyway. The people where she lived thought it was messy, ugly, stupid. She lived in America. But her people came from the lands of New Zealand. Aotearoa. She spoke the native language that she wished she never learnt. She had many cultural dances that she wished she never did. But most of all, she wished she hadn't looked like she did now.

She wanted to look like the girls in her class. The only thing about her she was grateful for was her name. She was glad that she didn't have a name like
Anahera or tēaroha. Which were both beautiful names.

Little did she know.

The girls from her school thought she was beautiful. The long hair, the brown eyes, the light melanin on her skin. She was beautiful. They only like to bring her down to make her feel bad about herself so she wouldn't believe she had power over them.

For her to think she was beautiful and her to be confident was a threat. If she knew how much beauty she had, she would use her power and use it against them. That's what they thought.

Though she would never do anything like that. She thought it was stupid to bring other females or males down to make yourself feel better. But she didn't know that it was happening to her all the time.

No one ever really called her ugly. She just believed because they would always call out her insecurities. But boys and girls had crushes on her. She wasn't popular in school. But she had lots of friends. Real friends. Friends that didn't like her because of her popularity. They loved her for who she was inside.