45. Sean's arrival

The sky dusked and every noble in the castle began preparing themselves for the grand celebration in the evening. Decorating themselves with valuable jewelries and fabrics, they weren't bothered with selecting the best gift for the Duchess because of the no gift policy enforced. The Ball Room was decorated beautifully too.

Newer staffs, mesmerized by the ostentation, were chatting excitedly with one another and heading towards their quarters for changing into nicer clothes themselves when they saw something, rather someone, whose appearance contrasted with the sophistication of their surrounding, walking towards them.

The person walked right past them without acknowledging their presence.

"Isn't she Lady Bennet? The older one." One of them asked the another.

"Yes. The former Queen. It seems she isn't doing well after the annulment. Pity." The youngest one among them said, eyeing Persephone's muddy and torn clothes.

"Good riddance." An elderly lady appeared behind them and commented dryly.

"Why would you say that!" 

"Because that girl was after my occupation despite being a queen." The lady scoffed. 

The younger ones gathered around her as she continued. "You see, a Queen is supposed to care for her subjects. Not hog their livelihood. She used to set menu for each meal of the day. I have been doing that since before she was born. She even suggested to let go of me one day. Outrageous!"

"Maybe she did so out of her love for His Majesty." One suggested meekly.

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach is the only thing she learnt back home perhaps." The old lady nodded her head. "Except it wasn't enough for the King." 

She remembered the conversation she had overheard.

"You should not have raised your voice on her in front of our ministers, Xavier. You know she's learning and taking classes." Duchess Lily pleaded.

"The classes that she should have taken a long ago." King Xavier rebuked. There was a frown of distaste on his face. "She is an Alpha-born. Even the spares are trained as there are chances of them replacing the heirs or being mated to one."

"She is efficient in duel, archery and running the household." Duchess laid out some points in support of Persephone, who had run straight to her chamber after the humiliation and refused to come out. 

"Then should I recruit her in the military or get her married to a merchant to run his house?"

Duchess Lily gasped. "Do you hear yourself? That's your mate you're talking about!"

The King turned his back on them and remained silent. Duchess Lily shook her head in disapproval and stormed off while the Duke stayed. 

"Holding a celebration to lighten the situation in Wicref while you and our troops were away at war was indeed in poor taste. People are not happy with at all her at the moment. However, she had done it with good intentions, Your Majesty." said Duke Lorenzo. 

"Her intentions do not matter, Your Highness. While the Monarch is on the front line, their consort is supposed to protect the Kingdom from inside. Provide them assurance and comfort. What was in her mind when she decided to hold a celebration? Did she expect people to drink, dance and enjoy while their King and their loved ones are putting their lives at risk to prevent the infiltration of enemies? Because if she did, she is the biggest fool I have met in my life!"

Duke Lorenzo took a deep breath. "Excuse us." He commanded. 

The elderly lady bowed and left. While she was closing the door behind her, she heard the Duke say, "Be honest with me, Xavier. Is she even your..."