Qibli's confession

Moon's pov

Qibli was acting weird. He was constantly checking for something in his satchel with his books in it and glancing at me.  He was laughing at jokes he would have normally critized and frowning at owns he would have laughed at. He stumbled over a log and snapped at somebody. 

That's highly unsettling.

When all classes ended, he told me to meet him at the underground lake. I did. He was sweating like crazy and toying with his talons, and swishing his tail around.

He never does that.

He said, "Moon. You've been a amazing friend to me over the years. You're funny, smart, and kind." I got nervouse. "Qibli, what are you getting at?" I asked. 

"But I'm somehow not satisfied." 

I stared at him. Was he doing what I think he was doing?

"And that can be filled if you say yes to this question."

He pulled out a emerald ring from is satchel.

"Moonwatcher, will you be my girlfriend?"

I stopped breathing. I forgot how to breathe. I stared at him, and my heart stopped beating.

My mind was on a hysterical fit, going on and on about why I ...... couldn't date him. Why I shouldn't date him. Why I HATED dating him.

I looked Qibli in the eye. His hopeful look broke my heart, but I couldn't be a weak fool. 

"I can't, Qibli."

His face darkened.

"But... But..... Why?" He asked, looking like I had told him there was only one moon.

"I.. I..." It was my turn to stutter. Why couldn't I date Qibli? 

Then a face of an icewing, a very familiar icewing, suddenly came up to me. I pushed in down. I lowered it into my collection of the darkest thoughts.

And I said, "I'm afraid of loving somebody, Qibli. And my mother's side of the family, nor my fathers, would be furious. Besides," I said, and clapped my talons over my mouth. I almost said 'I have a crush on someone else'. He looked at me. "Besides what?" He asked. "Um, besides, you have Thorn to serve loyally all your life, and I heard she doesn't like nightwings." I lied. 

He sighed, and nodded, and left the lake. I looked at the clear water, and dove into it.

"Moonwatcher, you are a complete mess." I whispered to myself, and suddenly, the water that was soaking my was joined by something called tears.