1

I bumped the cabinet closed with my hip and started pouring grounds into the coffee pot.
"Fae, there's going to be a storm and I'd like you to get here BEFORE it happens." My mom said through the phone.
"I know mom, I'm making my coffee and I'll head out." I responded.
"Call me when you're on your way, you know your father doesn't like to be kept waiting."
I sighed, "Yeah mom I know. I've got to go, love you, bye."
I hung up the phone before she could rebuttal.
Turning up the speaker, to blast 'Last Christmas' by Wham! I finished making my coffee and started packing for this dumpster fire of a trip.
Every year on December 20th my family plans this huge trip, we go to a ski lodge, throw a huge christmas party then leave on New Years.
Sure it sounds great but not with my family, call me ungrateful.
My family is full of phony rich douchebags, except my little sister Abby who seems to be following in my footsteps.
I'll give you the inside scoop: My grandparents are filthy rich from a company my Grandmother founded, my Dad now runs the company, my mom is just a tag along. I have 4 siblings, Corey, Will, Lauren and Abby. I am the 4th child, so yes, a middle baby. Abby and I are the closest in age, making us the closest siblings and most alike.
My oldest brother works in the company, Corey, but Will, I despise him. To cut it short he's a rapist, my family covered it up, turned a blind eye. Who's the victim, well.. me! Surprise.
Anywho, I told my family, I got banished for a little, everyone knows, but they believe Will. I am "delusional" to them, on the bright side my mom buys my silence with a hefty five grand every month. Lauren is just Lauren, a 28 year old nurse who is distant but still intact with the family shenanigans. Then Abby, my favorite, 20 years old, still lives at home but is looking to get out. She believes me, but she'll never admit that to my family.
Then me! 22, living in a NYC flat and have been taking a gap "year" which was supposed to end 4 years ago but who's counting? But I do co own a small book store, with my lifetime best friend Cassidy.
A knock rang through my apartment.
"Coming." I ran to the door and looked through the peephole, outside stood the complex manager and some guy in a suit.
"Hi!" I swung open the door.
"Ms.Bradley, you own the black mazda suv correct?"
I inhaled, "Yes. What's the problem?"
"I'm sorry to inform you of this but, you parked in the street, so, the snow plow accidentally hit it. We cannot pay for the damages as you are at fault." The man in the suit said.
I sighed, "Well, okay. I'll get it off the street, thanks."
He shifted awkwardly, "Happy holidays."
I gave him a tight lipped smile, "You too."
I threw on some my coat to go see the damage. It was totaled.
I rubbed the dents on my poor car and called a tow.
"You really did a number on it huh?" The tow truck driver said while loading it up.
"Snow plow."
"Ohh."
We both stood there awkwardly until I handed him a tip and ran back inside to pack.
I finished packing and called an Uber, it was going to cost a fucking fortune but I sure as hell wasn't asking my mom to come get me.
"Fae?" The driver yelled out the window.
"Hi! That's me are you Corbin?"
"Yeah, do you need help?" He pointed to my bags.
"I'm fine, could you pop the trunk?"
He did so and I threw my suitcases in the trunk and hopped in the back seat.
The car was awfully nice to be just an Uber driver, I'm sure he got a lot of his tips because of his looks.
I couldn't take my eyes off of him, he had slightly long black hair and green eyes that literally pierced through my soul.
"What's bringing you to New Jersey?" Corbin took a glance at me through the car mirror.
"My mother."
He chuckled lightly, "Well that's nice, we're in for a longer ride so there's water and some snacks back there."
"Thanks."
I popped ear buds in and watched the snow fall, the visibility was starting to get bad. I mentally cursed myself, even though I'm not fond of my mother, she's usually right.
"Hey do you think we'll actually get a storm?" I said taking out an earbud.
"From the looks of it, yeah. Butttt I've got four wheel drive."
I smiled, taking out my e-cigarette, trying to descreetly hit it. My mothers voice barged into my mind, you'll be dead with lung cancer before you're 20. I rolled my eyes.
"Those things will kill ya, you know?" he glanced at me again.
"Eh. I'll be okay."
"I'm just messing."
I raised my eyebrows to atleast acknowledge him.
"Tough crowd." He laughed.
Twenty minutes went by fast until we hit the I-90, which we have been stuck on for ten. Absolutely zero movement.