seventeen | peace at last

A/n: This is a song chapter, so play 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol when you read this, yeah? Yeah. On with the chapter, now!

-SEVENTEEN-

The sun's gentle warmth caressed the landscape gently, its reassuring brightness filling the vibrant blue sky, illuminating the clouds with a real silver lining. The air stayed still, yet the heat didn't intensify, as if the sun didn't want to disrupt the momentary peace of the moment. Despite the air not moving at all, a gentle breeze flitted around, catching leaves in its sprightly dance. With it, the nearby trees whispered in encouragement, their swaying branches shaking off an acorn or two. 

We'll do it all
Everything
On our own.

Ophelia and Kate sat together, under the shade of a tree, Lucky chasing butterflies before them. The huntress laughed, "You know, this is probably the most relaxed I've ever been in years." Kate grinned and wrapped her arms around the older woman's waist, moving closer to rest her chin on the latter's shoulder. "Really?" She asked. 

We don't need
Anything
Or anyone

The huntress chuckled and rested the side of her head on Kate's as she replied, "Really. I mean, I've always been amidst some chaos or the other." Kate's eyes stayed fixed on the dog, who was snapping at the butterfly as she added, "How so?" 

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

"When I was with the Avengers, you had the chaos of missions, injuries, and fights. When I was with my family, you had sibling and family drama. I went off to live on my own, and worked at an animal shelter. You've got the chaos there. And then our most recent escapade, too. So much chaos." Ophelia slipped her hand into Kate's, "But now it's so...quiet. Calm, even." 

I don't quite know
How to say
How I feel

"Well, there's a first time for everything, isn't there?" Kate smiled, moving away. Ophelia leaned back on her palms and said, "Since when did you get to wise, Tiny?" 

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

"Three years of dating and one would think you'd have stopped calling me that." The archer rolled her eyes. "Three years of dating and one would think you know me enough to realise that I'm never going to stop calling you that." Grinned Ophelia. "I mean, look at you. You are Tiny!" She stood up and proved it. 

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

"Shut up, I'm tall! Protested Kate, standing up. She was only an inch shorter than Ophelia, but it was enough for the older woman to laugh and say, "See? Short." 

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's bursting into life

Kate tackled the huntress to the ground, pinning the latter's arms above her head by the wrist. Ophelia licked her lips and smirked, "I like the view." The archer blushed profusely but refused to get off, tickling her instead. The huntress squealed and laughed, squirming under her girlfriend's grip as she pleaded, "KATE, NO, STOP--" Her laughing became hysterical, as she desperately tried to shove the archer off herself. 

Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads

"Not till you apologise for calling me short, Knives!" Giggled Kate. "Alright, alright, I apologise!" Gasped the huntress between laughs. Kate stood up and dusted herself off, offering a hand to Ophelia. The huntress took it, and pulled Kate down on top of her, hugging the archer's torso. "Gotcha!" The huntress giggled, nuzzling her neck.