1.

One:

Andreux Pierre Clark

I could smell the strong scent of bacon filling the air as I opened my eyes. I groaned as the sunlight beamed through my window. Today would be the average Saturday for me. Listen to some good music, read a book, and maybe get some exercise in. Probably boring to some, but it gave me a peace of mind. I studied medicine at Morehouse during the week and any down time I got to just relax was a blessing.

I was currently staying with my parents temporarily while my apartment was being renovated. I was transitioning from on campus living into an off campus apartment. I wouldn't say that I disliked being under my parents roof again, but I'd say I was impatiently awaiting being able to move into my new place.

Sitting up in the bed I ran my hands down my face. Reaching over I grabbed my phone from the nightstand before getting out the bed. Stretching my arms I yawned covering my mouth with my free hand.

I looked down at my phone as I walked to the restroom. I had a few messages from random numbers which was typical. I rarely responded though. Mostly females who got my number from someone they knew in hopes of something happening between us. Unfortunately those hopes would go unanswered as I dismissed the messages.

Going to my email I made sure I didn't have any assignments due before Monday came around. Once that was verified I went ahead and brushed my teeth and washed my face. When I was done I headed downstairs.

Walking into the kitchen I could see my mom at the stove. She was singing The reason why I sing by Kirk Franklin while cooking breakfast.

"Alright now don't let uncle Kirk and the choir have you in here burning up my food woman." I said coming up behind her and kissing her cheek before leaning against the island with my arms crossed.

"You lucky I'm saved because I started to tell you something." She said waving her spatula at me like she was going to hit me.

Smirking I brushed her off. She was all bark and no bite. Between me and my older brother Sergio I didn't know who she babied more. We could get away with murder with this woman. She loved her boys.

"Yo husband at the church today?"

"Yes, your father had to go to the church early today. I'm actually going up there myself in a minute. Sergio said he was coming by today so I'm guessing y'all will find something safe to get into." She said lifting her eyebrow at me.

I didn't know why she was looking at me crazy I was the good kid. It was Sergio who was the misfit. He was twenty three to my twenty and I was the mature one of the two. Sergio was the stereotype that I hated about being a preachers kid. He was everything that I wasn't and that shocked people.

"I don't know what Sergio getting into, but you don't have to worry about me. I'm always safe because I stay out the way." I said truthfully.

I wasn't about going to party's and getting shot at. Nor did I like anything with the potential to put my life in danger. I enjoyed the air I breathed everyday.

"Thank God we had a second son. Sergio was just cut from a different cloth. A reminder of the times I backslid before getting my life on track." My mom said more to herself than me as she placed a plate of pancakes, eggs, and bacon in front of me. We sat at the island and ate together while making small talk.

"You're too handsome to not have a girlfriend Dreux. I just hate to see you spend so much time alone."

She was talking as if a nigga didn't have friends or something. I was just comfortable enough with myself not to feed off the energy of other people. Not saying people who enjoyed companionship weren't at one with themselves, but just stating that I myself was okay with not being around people all the time. I could enjoy time to myself without feeling alone.