Chapter 1

Gabby's POV;

When I first met my best friend years ago near the beginning of seventh grade, I never would have thought we would be saving one another's lives (literally) every time we walked out the door. Our lives are now joined and consist of cheap motel rooms, fast food, fake IDs, and little sleep. There are times I feel nostalgic for the boring homework assignments or the inside jokes every seventh grader grows accustomed to. We were just so naïve back then. How could we have known we would be beating down the very things we used to fear were under our beds as children? How could I have known I would be a hunter?

It all started last year when Sam and Dean knocked on the door to our apartment. Jackie and I attended the same college, shared the same apartment, and lived normally until then. I won't go too far into detail but let's just say some people died, we ran away with the brothers (who worked with an honest to God angel), and we've hunted the damned and the creepy ever since.

~

Today is pretty normal so far - as normal as a hunter's days can be. Dean had driven all night to get Jackie and I back to our hometown of Rochester, New York and we checked into a motel early in the morning. Jackie and Dean are sitting at the only table in the room playing some type of card game I have no clue how to play. Cas and I are sitting on the couch chatting. Sam is looking up any strange murders in the local area. He normally volunteers to do research. No one argues.

It comes to my attention that I haven't told you who Sam, Dean, and Cas are. Sam and Dean are two brothers who have hunted their whole lives, unlike us. Sam has long, flawless, hair, is significantly taller than anyone here, and sort of started the apocalypse not so long ago. Dean is the more attractive of the two in my opinion (I think Cas agrees with me); his baby is the car we rode in, the 67 Chevy Impala, which he also uses to get all the girls. Cas is that honest to God angel I mentioned. He doesn't have the stereotypical halo or white wings. Actually he just looks like a human being - probably because he is possessing one (poor Jimmy Novak). Castiel and I have grown pretty close overtime.

Anyway, Jackie and Dean are bickering over the weirdest shit while they play cards. It's really entertaining to listen to while explaining books to an angel of the Lord. She slams a few cards onto the table and starts yelling at Dean. Not in an angry way of course. We hardly ever fight for real. Both her and Dean were grinning the whole time they argued.

"Just admit it! You are totally Bi Dean!!" she shouts. She was standing in front of her seat and pointing her finger at him. "Gabby!" she directed her attention over to me but continued to point her finger at Dean. "Tell Dean he's Bi."

I sigh - ignoring Jackie's command - and go back to showing the wonders of reading to Cas. Although I guess I'm more trying to convince him to read rather than stand around all the time doing nothing. They went on with their fight without my involvement.

"I am not. I've told you I am solely into women." Dean counters.

"Yeah right."

"I'm straight."

"As straight as a circle."

Dean glares at her; picking up his cards and focusing on his next move. As Jackie sits back down he mutters, "I'm straight".

Jackie thought of a clever comeback. Usually she laughs to herself when she thinks of those. "Then what were you doing with Cas when we first got here?"

"We were talking."

"Mmhmm. Sounded pretty sexy to me."

Cas' head shot up. He looks worried that someone figured out a secret of his. I know he likes Dean but he hasn't actually told anyone about it, I just assumed he had feelings for him.

"I'm. Straight." Dean says firmly. He still had a large grin.

"Prove it." Jackie replies.

"Get a room you two." Sam groans.

It was the first thing he's said since he opened his laptop.

They both grin at him and start stumbling back to Dean's room - passionately kissing along the way. Cas looks disappointed as they walk off. I put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. Sam calls over to us and shows us whatever website he has pulled up on the laptop screen. I walk over to him leaving Cas with my copy of Divergent written by Veronica Roth.

"So get this." Sam begins. "Husband brutally murdered in his city office. The receptionist saw the killer walking out of the building and found the body a few minutes later."

Cas asks from behind me, "Why is this of our concern?"

When I turned back to look at him he was already halfway through the book. Sam and I both give him a confused look before returning our gaze to the screen.

"He has a point Sam. How is this our type of gig?"

His finger points to the bottom of the article. I saw what it said but he decides to read it anyway so everyone can hear.

"Receptionist claims the murderer had pitch black eyes. Sounds pretty demonic to me."

Cas stands up and sets the book down on the tan couch cushion. "I rather enjoyed that book Gabby. It was a quick read. Now we should look into this...black eyed murderer."

The three of us glance at the card table Jackie and Dean were sitting at a few minutes ago and remember how they are still...preoccupied.

Cas adds on to his last sentence, "After Dean returns."