Chapter 1

Once upon a time, a small village named Kilerth, nestled in the kingdom of Doxon on the island of Ireland, was home to a girl named Elizabeth Embers

Once upon a time, a small village named Kilerth, nestled in the kingdom of Doxon on the island of Ireland, was home to a girl named Elizabeth Embers. Little Elizabeth was orphaned when her father, Sadon, a soldier in the king's army, was killed in a freak accident involving a squirrel, and her mother, Anselm, fell ill and died shortly after. As her mother lay dying, she gifted Elizabeth her most prized possession, a dazzling green emerald dragon necklace. Everyday after her mother died, Elizabeth wore that necklace. It was the most beautiful and precious thing she owned. When Elizabeth was little, her mother would tell her stories about the necklace, and a magical place full of unicorns, faeries and good little girls who were pure of heart.

Elizabeth sighed, her hands on her hips. This year's garden was almost worthless. The only things that bothered to grow decently well were the spinach and cabbage.

"I guess you guys will do", Elizabeth muttered to herself.

Today was market day and one of the only chances for her to make a little money. Elizabeth gathered the vegetables up into her rickety cart, and wobbled off towards the carpenter shop. Her best friend, John Chambers, worked there, and Elizabeth promised she would assist him take his wood carvings to the royal market. Although John usually mended chairs and such, when he got a chance he would carve little animals and figurines. Whenever he sold them at the market, wealthy people would snatch them up for trinkets, or toys for their spoiled children. Elizabeth stopped. John had already hitched his horse up to the wagon and all his wares were in the back. She hurried over.

"I see that you didn't need my help after all!" Elizabeth smiled at him slyly.

"Let's get going before all the good spots are taken."

John grabbed Elizabeth's small cart and heaved it into his wagon.

"Let's go then!"

They jumped into the wagon and were soon on their way.