grow up

WARNING: this chapter contains sad sundrop (this story takes place 2 years after the daycare was introduced to the pizzaplex, so sun and moon are relatively new.)

Sun POV:

       after another fun day at the daycare, it was finally time to get some rest. as the building closed for the night, I quickly made my way to my room to avoid deactivating in the daycare when the lights went out.

"hey, moon!" I greeted my brother as I closed the door behind me. he was recharging in his usual dark corner but looked up and gave a tired wave to acknowledge me before continuing to rest.

"twins?" I looked up as officer Vanessa opened the door to check on us before starting her rounds. I smiled and waved at her but moon was already out like a light. "hey, sun. how were the kids today? any trouble?" she asked, leaning on the doorframe.

"the kids behaved great as always. today was fun." I answered, sitting down on one of the soft cushions I dragged up here. "but i was wondering, one of the kids didn't show up today. do you know where Alex went? is he sick?"

"oh..." Venessa's face fell and she didn't look so happy... I didn't like that.

"what happened? is he okay?" concern crept into my voice but this only seemed to make Vanessa more sad. "is he hurt?"

"well... he's perfectly fine." Vanessa finally answered, but she walked into the room and sat down next to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "you see, sun, kids don't stay kids forever. Alex loved you, he really did, but there comes a time in every child's life when they... grow up." she looked into my eyes and spoke the way I usually did when comforting a child.

"what... what does this have to do with him not showing up to the daycare?" I asked, "does he not like me anymore?" Vanessa winced when I said this and couldn't look me in the eyes.

"he still likes you, it's just... his parents thought he was getting too old to go to the daycare and took him to see the other animatronics instead." Vanessa tried to explain. "it doesn't mean he stopped being your friend, he's just not... interested in little kids stuff anymore."

"..."

"sun? you okay?" she made me turn to face her, but before she could say anything else she got a call and had to leave. "s-sorry I really have to start my rounds. hope you feel better!" she said quickly before leaving. I didn't care.

            I tried to fall asleep. I tried to stop thinking about it.
too old? to be my friend? I didn't understand. he was done...?
it all seemed so... fake. Alex had been showing up to the daycare everyday until now. he loved arts and crafts, he loved my puppet shows. how could all of that just... stop?
           as I continued to think about it, I didn't realize that I had started to cry. it's not fair... it's not fair!
           I realized that my body had started to shake and my crying was getting pretty loud, so I laid down on my makeshift bed and curled in on myself to try and muffle the noise.
"I don't understand..." I shakily whispered. I jumped slightly when I felt a hand on my back. I looked up to see moon looking down at me with concern on his face.

"don't understand what?" he spoke calmly and sat down next to me. "you mean you didn't know why Alex didn't show up?"

"and you did?!" I cried, sitting up to look him in the eyes. "is this really how it's gonna work? they pretend to be our friends and then just... leave?!"

"sun..." he sounded a bit dissapointed but he knew that I didn't really mean what I said. "come 'ere." he gently pulled me into a strangely warm embrace and let me just let all my emotions out. he knew I was just frustrated because I didn't understand.

           so he stayed there, offering gentle words to help me understand. he never let me go, so I just cried. I held onto him and cried for hours until he gently laid us both down on my bed and held me tight.

"better?" he asked, still holding on. my voicebox was a bit rough after crying so much so I just nodded. "good. it's past your bedtime, you need to rest. everything will be okay. no matter what, you'll always have me." if he said anything after that, I didn't catch it. I was so exaughsted that I just drifted off.

<(time-skip :P)>

Vanessa POV:

"alright twins, time to get up!" I called, walking down the hall to their room. there was no response. "twins?" I said a bit quieter, peeking through the door. i was met by moons threatening red eyes staring me down, daring me to make any more noise.

"I can't get up..." he whispered, lifting the blanket off of him to reveal Sundrop, still asleep, holding onto moon's waist. "I'm legally obligated to let him sleep... help..."

"oh..." I slowly opened the door. "yeah, i'll help. just a second." I quietly giggled as I took out my phone and took a picture and just started to leave.

"VANESSA-" he whisper-yelled at me "help me-" he started to growl, but I just shut the door behind me. this was revenge for him scaring the shit out of me while I was doing my rounds last week.

(end :P)