The Cherry Tree

Spring was arriving. One could simply sense it by wandering around Kingsborough Park. The robins were chirping, the grass was lush once more, and the maple trees were budding; seeming to nudge the beginnings of leaves into the sweet spring air.

But the one thing that mattered the most to Alec was the cherry tree.

The short, stubby plant couldn't have been more than five feet tall. Its spindly branches reached up towards the sky, longing for the sun's warm embrace. The fruit produced by its mere eleven limbs was sour, rough.

And this is why Alec came to visit the lone cherry tree every day; it reminded the boy of himself.

Alec was no older than nine when he learned of his Autism diagnosis. His parents would often consult his teachers, asking what could be done to "fix" him.

Alec did not want to be "fixed." What he wanted was to understand what occurred around him.

Alec wanted to know why humans made eye contact.

Alec wanted to know why his teachers wanted him to answer questions in a specific order.

Alec wanted to know why his classmates expected him to laugh at certain jokes that weren't funny.

Alec wanted to know why everyone called him "special."

When Alec found out what made him "special," he ran away. He grabbed his favorite book and ran to the only spot he felt truly safe.

He ran to the cherry tree.

The little sapling was planted in Kingsborough Park just earlier that year in celebration of the park opening.

The sapling didn't grow quite right, but Alec loved it anyway. That night his parents told him he was not likely to be accepted because he was "special," he ran to the little sapling. He felt just as frail, vulnerable, and scared as it might have been. Alec could see a part of himself in the little cherry tree.

And now, nine years later, Alec visits the tree every single day. He makes sure it is nurtured, cared for.

Because just like Alec, the cherry tree is different, unique, and possibly even "special."

(351 words)
Hi! I'm Claire, the author of this short story. If there are any grammatical mistakes or ways I could improve, please comment and let me know!

This is my first piece published on Wattpad, so any votes or positive comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading my story and supporting me as an author!

Guess what? I have a book in the works! Stay tuned for "Ocean Eyes," a lesbian romance novel!