1.

Summer 2020

Hasen R. Walker

"Hasen! Yo ass don't hear me calling you?" Hasen's mother snapped her fingers in her face.

"What the hell you got a hearing aid for if you gon turn it off girl?" Her mother mumbled as Hasen looked up at her, Hasen turned her hearing aid on before scrunching her face up.

"Huh?" Hasen said looking at her mother standing in front of her with her hand on her hip.

"Baby go outside with yo sistas or some. Its summer Hase, go get some fresh air." Hasen's mother said, and Hasen shook her head 'no'.

"I'm cool where I'm at." Hasen responded looking back down at her book.

"Hase." Her mother said sternly, "Momma come onnnn." Hasen whined at her mother.

"Go. Now. And don't come back till you smell like outside." Her mother took her book from her hands putting the bookmark in between the last page she read.

"I love you, byeee." Her mother pushed her put the house before closing the door.

"Ouu shitt." Hasen's sisters mumbled waving the smoke away seeing Hasen staring at them.

"Hey sis." Her older sister, Mia, spoke.

"Hmm.." Hasen tilted her head looking at the twins Mia and Mila

"Mommy knows your smoking on HER front porch?" Hasen questioned already knowing the answer

"Here she go being a bitch." Mila mumbled standing up pulling her denim shorts down.

Hasen shrugged her shoulders not caring, "If you're mad then you know you shouldn't be smoking especially if Momma don't know." Hasen said looking Mila up and down.

"Why do you act like that?" Her sister friend, Darius, questioned

"Does your grandmother know you smoke? I suppose not so mind your business thank you." Hasen retorted, she had a smart mouth and she didn't care. Mila and Mia told her it was going to get her into some trouble and if she got her ass beat then she just got her ass beat.

"Yoo, yo sister act like she better than everybody. " Darius sister, Asia, said and Hasen looked her up and down getting ready to clear her.

"Alright chillat." Darius said seeing the look on Hasen's face.

Hasen stepped off the porch before walking into the grass then making her way on the sidewalk, walking to the store on the corner.

She saw a few boys playing dice next to the store, "Aye pussy! You saw that shit, gimme my money!" She saw a boy snap his fingers as he crouched down.

"Naw T, yo ass cheating. Fuck outta here-"

"What nigga?" She saw the boy stand up getting really defensive and she shook her head finally making it to the store she walked in.

"Cmon T chill, you buggin" Hasen heard outside the store and everyone started getting loud which was something she didnt want to hear so she turned her hearing aid off.

She looked at the options of snacks on the rack before seeing fingers snap in her face.

"The fuck are you doing? Why the fuck you snapping in my face?" Hasen immediately started going off

"Get the fuck out my way." He spoke pushing pass her going to the fridge with drinks

"Bum ass nigga." Hasen said loud enough for him to hear.