Chapter 1

It's Monday morning and I'm late to work. I never this late in my life but I was up all-night reading Isabella's file from her old schools and the one we have here. I want to help her heal from whatever is going on with her it has to be more to this breakup between her and Edward Cullen. I mean they has only been dating for about 4 months, I know time seem to fly by as a teenager but still 4 months. Was he abusing her? Was he suicidal and she's worried about him?  It only been a month, but the girl lost a lot of weight and look sick.

It's my job to help these kids and I don't know what to do. Any time I get Isabella in my office she just sits there looking out the window. It scares me. I want her to know I'm here for her, but it looks like she's just so dis attached from this world. My next step is to contact her father, Sheriff Swan. Maybe I can get some insight from him and maybe we both can work together and get her some help.

I get to the school and make my way to my office, seeing John standing at my door. I want to roll my eyes, but I hold myself back. This man can't take no for answer. He asks me out every couple of weeks and every time I say no. I'm just tired of respecting myself to this man, it's getting old and creepy. I just want to come to work, help these kids, and go home to my warm bed and books. I don't want to get asked out over and over by the same man after I said no the first time and the tenth time. 

"Morning, Zadie you're looking beautiful this morning," John says smiling at me but looking at my chest.

"Hello, John. don't you supposed to be in class," I asked. Hoping he would leave me alone; I just want to get in my office and start my day. I have appointment with Jessica and that girl can talk and talk. She's how I know a little more about Isabella then I did last month.

"Yes, I just wanted to check on you," John said. 

I just looked at him and unlocked my door stepping inside, turning towards him and closed my door and locked it.

Okay then, time for work.

After a few hours, I have seen four students and ate an early lunch, so I don't have to go to the teachers' lounge. In a few minutes I'll have Isabella in and i hope she say something or do something because I don't want her to stay like this.

I stand up from my desk and start cleaning up the issue off the table and wipe down the table. Somebody start knocking at the door as I wipe down the couch. "Come in," I yell, it must be Isabella. As I wipe the person comes in and close the door.

"I came at the right time then, Zadie," John said behind me. I know his voice anywhere and I hate that I know it.

I stand up and turn around to find him right behind me, less than a foot away. 

"John what are you doing in here I have a student on their way here. you need to leave, thank you," I said backing away from him.

"I just wanted to see you since you were so busy this morning," James said walking towards me.

But before I could respond a knock came to the door and I never been happier than I was right now. "Come in," I yelled as I watch James's mouth twitched down.

I looked over John's shoulder and saw Isabella standing there looking at us as James backed away from me smiling. "I'll see you soon. Hello Ms. Swan," John said as he walks out.

I smile and grab my notebook with Isabella's name wrote on it. i sit down as she makes her way over to the couch and sits.

"So, Isabella I want to give you this and I want you to write in it for me and bring it next week. Take it home and write what is on your mind. Write whatever you'll like, maybe a poem or a short story. Or pretend you're writing to Him, tell him how you feel or how you're doing. I want you to know I'm here for you Isabella and this is a safe place. You can tell me whatever is on your mind, and it won't leave this room at all, I promise. Now, how are you today," I asked her. But as always, she just looks out the window lost in her own mind, with tears in her eyes. I just sit back and watch her as I take notes. 

Smaller than last week meeting. 

Bags under her eyes are more noticeable.

Skin is paler.

Hair is uncombed.

Eyes are unfocused.

I'm watching her as she looks to the woods. I had learned that Edward Cullen left her in the woods, and she was missing for hours in the cold. But she looks like she wants to run into the thick green trees, it's a longing look. Isabella stares at them as if that boy will run from inside of them and take her far from here. After the meeting is up, we both stand, and Isabella grab the notebook and leaves. I start packing up my bag and lunch bag so I can leave after I call Mr. Swan about setting up a meeting with him.

I open Isabella's file and find her father's phone number, the work number. I took a deep breath and dialed his number after a few seconds his voice flood my ear.

"Hello, Sheriff Swan, how can I help you," the sheriff asks.

It's now or never. 

"Good afternoon, this is Zadie Ross. I'm the school," I started speaking but out cut off.

"The school is Bella okay, I can meet you at the hosp," Sheriff Swan panics.

"Oh no, Isabella is fine. I'm the school's therapist, I wanted to set up a meeting with you so we can talk about Isabella and how to help her," I said into the phone, playing with my shoe sliding it on and off.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Of course, we can I'm going on my lunch right now. We can talk at the diner it won't be a lot of folks there. So, we can sit there and talk, Ms. Ross," he says from his side of the phone. 

"Great, I can be there in 10 minutes," I said pushing my foot back inside of my shoe. 

"I'll see you there, then," he said, and we both hang up. 

I finished packing up, I start walking to the main office to clock out. It was only an hour and a half left of school. I made it right down the hall from the main office. I was turning the corner when I see John down the hall talking to the gym teacher, Coach Clapp. I turn and go to the front door, walking out to my car. Once I made it, I called the main office and told them I was gone for the day. I pull out of my parking spot and drive to the only diner in town.