Introduction

St Mungo's
September 1998

Dr. Friedrich sighed audibly, removing his glasses and rubbing his eyes with one hand.

He then turned his exhausted gaze to the girl in front of him.

"Well?" the Gryffindor asked, unable to contain herself. Her foot tapped nervously against the floor in impatience.

"Well," sighed the man, putting his glasses back on and rereading the report on the desk. "None of our healers have been able to reverse the spell," he affirmed.

Hermione's lip trembled slightly.

"However," the doctor continued, with the girl's eyes on him again, "I have reason to suspect that you are responsible for it."

Before she could flood him with questions, he continued.

"The obliviating spell you have used, Miss Granger, is not only powerful, but is imbued with a deep magical trace," he crossed his hands in front of him.
"Maybe, and I stress maybe, the reversal of the spell might be successful if it is carried out by the same magical trace that imprinted it."

"All right," Hermione replied promptly, before the man could offer any more explanation.

"But I warn you, it's not easy magic. You'll need months of training with our healers to properly master the spell. And even then, unfortunately, there's no guarantee…"

"I want to try," she replied decisively. "Please".

January 1999

"All right, Miss Granger. Take a deep breath and slowly raise your wand. As soon as you feel ready, you can cast the spell."

Hermione did as instructed.

She hadn't felt this nervous even when she had oblivated her parents.
And now, maybe, after months of trying and after contacting the best memory spell specialists in all Europe, she would finally be able to restore the memories of the two most important people in her life, who were lying asleep in front of her.

They had all said the same thing: it had not been possible to remove the spell because the magic with which it had been imprinted was too strong.
This had left her speechless. She had always known she was a more than capable witch, but so much so that she could cast an irreversible spell?

She wondered, after receiving that same answer from three different healers, what had become of Dolohov and Yaxley, the Death Eaters she had obliviated shortly after erasing her parents' memories.

However, there was no trace of them, they were nowhere to be found after the end of the war.

She did as she was told, breathing deeply.

A young boy, wrapped in a white coat, approached her. "First cast the legilimens," he said. "You must follow the flow of memories you have implanted in them. In the middle of it you'll find a doorway, a weakness," he repeated, as if talking about the process for the first time. "It has to be there somewhere. You have to hold onto that, and then cast the spell that will reverse the process."

Hermione nodded, listening intently even though she knew those instructions by heart.

She stretched out her right arm.

The moment had arrived.

"Legilimens."

A faint beam of light left her wand, covering the short distance that separated her from her mother's body.
But as soon as the energy flow touched the woman's temple, Hermione found herself blinded: her corneas burned.