Chapter 19

"traitor"

A broken heart

A broken heart.

That was what she had gotten despite always being so good.

The purity of her soul had not been enough to keep tragedy from haunting her and her brother. Her desire to do good and be good to everyone was something she had always considered a strength, but at that moment, it was a weakness.

Isobelle's head lay on Wilhelm's lap as tears streamed down her cheeks.

If she had thought things couldn't get any worse, she had been wrong.

For she had had the misfortune of overhearing a conversation between Frederic and his father that had caused her heart to break and her chest to compress, making it difficult for her to breathe.

"I told you I'm not going to propose!" She heard Frederic yell, she made the bad decision of hiding behind the slightly open door of the room while her boyfriend talked to his father. "We are kids for gods sake!"

"You are turning eighteen in a couple of months Frederic. I gave you strict orders! Make the girl fall for you, it didn't matter how, you just needed to have her infatuated with you long enough to propose!"

Her heart sank when she heard that.

Was that the whole reason he had approached her in the first place?

Were his feelings for her a farce?

Tears started spilling from her eyes as she sobbed silently.

"And I did as you said! But I'm not proposing to her! I love her and I don't think that's the right decision." Frederic said.

"You love her? Come on! You don't know what love is, you are incapable of loving someone else than yourself. Now what I'm asking you to do is easy, you propose and when can ensure our legacy will live and we will be royalty!" The man placed a hand on his son's shoulder. "Don't you like the sound of that? Getting Wilhelm out of the way will be easy, with the whole video incident I'm sure the Queen will be thrilled with her daughter getting engaged with someone from a wealthy successful family."

Frederic stayed silent.

There was no way he was even thinking about it right? Isobelle tried to convince herself for her own sanity's sake.

When she heard the man mention her brother her blood boiled and she wanted to just shut him up.

"Father I-"

"Come on son, you don't want to disappoint your old man, now do you?" The man tried to persuade him, taking out a small box from his pocket and handing it to him.

Isobelle's heart started beating faster, waiting for Frederic to do something.

But she did not expect him to do what he did.

He slowly stretched his arm and hesitated before grabbing the box.

And Isobelle gasped.

She didn't notice she had do so a little louder than she would've liked, because Frederic and Elijah's heads turned towards her.

"Belle..." Frederic started as he walked in her direction.

She walked backwards as she avoided the boy's touch.

"Get away from me!" She yelled. "You traitor!"

"No no, love listen to me, I- just let me explain." He struggled to get words out.

He had screwed up.

Big time.

His heart broke when she said those words.

Traitor.

He was, that he wasn't going to deny. He should have told her the truth from the beginning, and explain how that didn't matter because despite his father was the main reason he approached her, his feeling were the reason he stayed.

She was the kindest person he'd ever met, and she made him feel something he had never felt before.

God she made him feel alive.

But now he screwed that up.

And he wasn't sure if he'd be able to fix it.

What hurt him the most was that he had been there every single time Isobelle was having a bad time. He consoled her and held her in his arms. He hated seeing her so broken, but he hated the most being the reason of her sadness and pain.

"What is there to explain? I think I have heard enough." She spat. "God I trusted you! I told you every single thing about me. I let you in even though I always doubted about why you would even look my way the first place, but I let my guard down because I thought you were worth it! I made a mistake, but you made a bigger one." She said that last sentence to his father. "You are a grown man meddling into your child's life. Controlling him like he's nothing but a  puppet you can just play with." She walked over to him. "Let me say something to you, and I will just say it once so you better listen." Rage took over her as she confronted the man. "Mess with me or my brother again and I swear you will regret it, I myself will make sure of it. I will make sure the rest of your life is miserable if you ever think about hurting my family."

Frederic was stunned at the way she confronted his father so easily.

The man stool there speechless.

"That's what I thought." She spoke before turning around to leave. Frederic tried to grab her hand and stop her. "Don't touch me." She said, and he let go. "Just because I don't think your father should treat you like a puppet doesn't mean I'm not mad at you. I'm furious actually, more with me rather than you. Because even though what we had was just some kind of mission your father sent you on for you, I do love you, right now I wish I didn't, but I do, I love you so much and it hurts, it hurts because you don't."

She didn't give him a chance to explain, she just turned around and got out of there as fast as she could.

When she told Wilhelm everything he clenched his fists so hard his knuckles turned white, but he kept his calm as he embraced his sister.

Once the rage had turned into sadness, Isobelle felt drained, as if all her energy had left her body.

"I'm going to go get you something to eat okay?" Wilhelm said softly. "Will you be okay on your own for a bit?" He asked her.

She just nodded with a small smile.

Her brother kissed her head before grabbing his jacket and leaving the girl's room.

Isobelle turned and tossed around in her bed trying to get comfortable. She felt stupid for trusting Frederic, she felt stupid for thinking he actually loved her for who she was and not her title.

And god she was so tired.

She was tired of being strong. She was tired of always doing the right thing.

For once she just wanted to take that weight off her shoulders and be free.

But she knew she couldn't. She had to be strong for both her and her brother.

Because no matter how awful she felt, her brother would always be her main priority.

Maybe it was a self destructive mind set, but she didn't care, in that moment he was all she had.

She didn't even know who she could really trust in anymore.

She felt lost.