Issue #1: Lucas

Highschool. Where teenagers gathered in loud locker banging halls, talking about the latest movies, fashion trends, musical artists, and so on. Instead here I am. In the cafeteria by my lonesome, doing my work with dilig–

"Whoops!" A random guy bumped into my table, causing my hot coffee to spill all over my worksheet and pants. The moment the hot liquid touched me, I jumped from my seat, pulling the hot wet fabric away from my skin.

"AGH!" For a split second I could feel the scorching liquid burning my skin. I turned my head to the perpetrator, and it was none other than Neil Haynes.

"Sorry Lulu, didn't notice you there" Neil said with a smile, mockery laced all over his words. His band of goons laughing along with him.

As much as I wanted to scream at Neil and shout at him. I knew better than to screw with someone like him. More or less, he was going to beat me up. A standard bully M.O. Even with that in mind, I was more concerned about my work. I reached out to grab it, but one of Neil's goons beat me to it.

"Oh what do we have here?" He picked up my paper report, dangling it in between his index and thumb as if he just picked up garbage from the floor.

"Give it back!" I shouted, moving forward to take back papers. My efforts were rendered futile as two, yes two, goons had to shove me back.

Neil took the papers from his goons hands, flipping through it with disinterest. It was clear that he didn't even bother reading it. If he could read at all. He ended up just yawning and throwing the papers behind him, letting it all disperse out onto the cafeteria floor. "Just some nerd crap probably. You're smart right? Just make another one"

There wasn't anything I could do. It was one versus five. Hell, I can't even handle one of them. I could only stand there, my eyes focused on the blue and white tiled cafeteria floor. I heard them laugh as they walked by me, not missing a chance to bump my shoulders as they did.

"HEY EVERYONE! LULU JUST PISSED HIS PANTS!" Neil got in one more jab at me. I looked down, and because of the coffee spill, it indeed looked like I just wet myself. Talk about adding salt to the wound.

I didn't move until the sounds of their laughter was cut by the cafeteria doors closing. I didn't dare to look up. I could tell my peers were just staring at me, bystanders as usual.

I gritted my teeth, clenched my fists and took small steps towards my papers that were now sprawled out on the cafeteria floor.

I knelt down, picking up the coffee stained papers one by one. I stared at the cover of my paper. Theory of Programmable Matter. "What did I do wrong..."

"Lucas? Lucas, oh my god!" That voice I recognized. It was the lunch lady Mrs. Harris. I turned to her and watched her run towards me with the cafeteria door closing behind her.

I like Mrs. Harris. Pretty much treats all the kids in high school as her own. Except for the ones like Neil, to which she always shakes her head when she sees him.

"What happened?" She asked, kneeling down and helping me pick up my papers. I didn't respond, I didn't need to. The silence was more than enough to give her an answer. She let out a sigh, placing her hand on my shoulders. "You have to tell someone, Lucas."

"Who?" I responded, my voice cold and distant. "His father owns the school. There's nothing I can do."

I really appreciate Mrs. Harris' help, I really do. A part of me wants to believe that telling someone will help. However, that's wishful thinking.

"You've been working so hard on his report too" Mrs. Harris flipped through the many sheets of paper.

"It's okay" I replied, looking at Mrs. Harris with a smile, a weak one. "I just need to...I just need to do it again."