In the Subway

Part I

New York City had always been a busy city. The subway, a vital organ in the city's infrastructure, was responsible for transporting millions of people a year, from all types of backgrounds. From the businessman to the tourist, to the waiter, it made no difference in the ecosystem, as on any regular day they would all be packed together. On it went day to day and hour by hour. In 2020 the system became quiet and the society that dwelled underneath the surface regained some territory; able to move about freely. Those that the world had long forgotten, whose names have been forgotten even by themselves were now allowed to come into the light; no longer confined to the darkness that they were once used to. Politically, the city had been reduced to panic and chaos, from riots and protests on a national scale to an uptick of crime on the local level.  To the masses, it was no wonder the media, whom the public had placed their faith on, failed to notify them of the constant murders that affected the homeless community that made the subway their home. It first started with one, and before the police could properly investigate, they found themselves with another corpse in the same manner as the last. Individuals ripped apart most brutally as if by a wild animal let loose on the tracks. Severed limbs were discovered with pieces of flesh removed by teeth that hardly resembled anything known to man. While the Mayor's office was all too aware of the crises, they urged the details not to be leaked to the media to not create undue panic. How would the public react to a serial killer lurking in the subway at a time when the system was hemorrhaging money daily? The news would cripple an already weakened economy and with elections so close, the ruling political party could not chance voters finding a reason to question how the administration handled crime.

The Mayor's office did what they could to keep those who had no place to sleep from being targets. Outreach efforts included placing individuals in motels, to expanding space in existing shelters. Nothing was off the table to keep them safe. The murders continued, however, and the violence increased. In the beginning, bodies were found to have been mauled, but as time progressed and the list of victims increased, the bodies were almost picked clean. Not a single piece of flesh could be found. The killer who was claiming lives weekly, was consuming those that he was targeting. Eventually, the limbs would begin to disappear and investigators determined that the killer was taking them as trophies. Other investigators assumed that the killer was creating a nest, comparing it to beasts that prepare to hibernate during the winter. Soon, they began to question if there was a need for the consumption of flesh.  Investigators wondered if this was truly a man or beast. Unfortunately, the answer was not simple. It would take more resources to fully investigate a serial killer who did not leave much evidence behind. Saliva samples would return inconclusive, and no fingerprints were found.  There was one clue however, as fur samples were found in the wounds that were determined to belong to animals. This revelation extended the resources to bring about zoologists who puzzled investigators when they stated that the fur was inconclusive. Possibly, ape or wolf, or even both.

It wasn't until the tenth victim that the Mayor's Office increased the resources needed to solve the case. The string of murders that began in the middle of summer was producing more victims weekly, and now the winter was coming and there would be more homeless individuals in the subway to escape the cold. The killer would have access to future victims and should his appetite not be fully satiated, the mayor questioned what would stop him from targeting individuals who were not homeless. The case was shared with the State Police and the FBI who brought on investigators with varying experience. From hungry, new investigators who were looking to make a name for themselves to seasoned professionals who would refer to their decades of experience. Investigators were invested in the case due to the number of victims, however, without the media attention, there was little to gain beyond taking a murderer off the streets. That was until the press conference. Against the mayor's wishes, the State Attorney General alerted the media. More eyes in the subway and investigators reaching out to the homeless community and canvassing areas would be more beneficial. It was time to acquire the assistance of the millions of daily commuters to pay attention to their surroundings and report whatever they saw, but the backlash was immense. The public, furious for not being alerted earlier due to politics, grew impatient with every passing day. They lined up in front of City Hall and protested at public events with picket signs calling for action and an end to their fears. The press conferences which were once being held weekly were pushed to daily and before anyone could blink, the killings were national news.