Local Anesthesia

Word Count: 1,340

Fandom: Looney Tunes

★★★

The last few months had been very rough for Pepé. There was always that constant dread of being rejected by every toon, both as a friend and a lover, but this was just something else.

When he had received the notice from the higher-ups at Warner Bros., he thought it must positively, absolutely be a cruel joke played on the poor skunk. Unfortunately, for him, that would be far too kind. Pepé le Pew would be removed from the upcoming Looney Tunes film. It was shocking, disheartening, and he wasn't sure exactly what to do.

The big wigs hadn't allowed him a proper explanation, so he was left to meaningless gossip and false clickbaity articles from the internet. Some people speculated that it was because his old toons from back in the '50s were too sexist for the modern generation, others preferred the idea that Pepé was just way too clingy to be the face of romance, but a lot of people just figured it was because Pepé le Pew did not stand up to today's audience. No matter which one was true, there was one thing that remained true: Pepé le Pew would be removed from the upcoming Looney Tunes film, and possibly the franchise as a whole.

The idea made his head spin with worry. He felt sick to his stomach, he was out of a job. Everyone quite possibly hated him. This was an anxious nightmare, he was facing his worst fear.

It had been a while since he had actually left his house, which quickly became a dark cave. The low-hanging cloud of depression had run anyone kind enough to worry about him anyway. The last time he had been out, maybe a month or so ago, he had run into Bugs. Bugs had always been the face of Looney Tunes, beloved by all, but even he seemed sympathetic about the whole situation.

Or perhaps it was pity that Bugs really felt...

A lot of toons had given him their condolences, including Penelope, who hadn't quite received the same letter, but had assumed her fate would end at a similar tie to his.

He had been too ashamed to show up around her after that. He had spent three, four, five months reveling in this thought, the thought of being let go by everyone. Soon the well-groomed romancer of a skunk had sunken into an unkempt disheveled shell of his former self.

It was getting to a point where he almost forgot to take care of himself, being absorbed by the awful forum posts and toon gossip mags and mean comments he saw every now and then. It was exhausting, but he just couldn't step away.

It was a surprise to him one day when he was making himself a very sad buttered bagel, that he received a knock on the door. He wiped down his face, quickly fixing his hair the best he could manage with his fingers, stumbling over to answer it.

He unbolted the door, cracking it open to peer through it. He looked around, there was no one...? He moved to shut it again, it was a shame someone would prank him like that, but, a little voice called out from below.

"Wait a second!"

Pepé swung the door open wider this time looking to the ground. The small brown field mouse was politely holding his sombrero, staring up at Pepé.

Pepé stared in a confused sort of awe, unconsciously opening the door wider for him to come in. Speedy understood the notion, walking through the frame.

Speedy only came up to about Pepé's thigh, he was quite small...

Pepé wasn't sure what Speedy was doing at his home, but he watched him all the way until he hopped onto the kitchen counter. Pepé hadn't realized how lonely and isolated he was really feeling before, but the company was a nice addition, he settled.

He moved to sit with him at the table, unsure of how to communicate. He had not just lost his charm over the months, but also his ability to communicate it seemed.

"You don't look like you're doing so hot, amigo." He pointed a concerned look at him.

Apparently Speedy had come here with a purpose. They hadn't talked much before the whole incident, Pepé would hardly call them friends, but still, Speedy was worried enough to come to visit him.

Speedy glanced over at the forgotten and now very cold bagel on the counter, "Did I interrupt lunch?" He shrugged.

"Lunch?" Pepé looked at the digital heart clock set up on the wall, it was 12:23 p.m., "Oh, erm, yes. Lunch." He anxiously laughed, going to pick it up.

He didn't have the best sense of time anymore. He mostly just woke up late in the evening or early in the morning.

He flipped open the garbage can, stepping on the pedal and dumping the food. It wasn't even a proper meal anyways.

"Not hungry?" Speedy idly watched, a touch of concern in his eyes.

"I've lost my appetite." He muttered, joining him again.

Speedy just nodded. Pepé nodded back in affirmation. It was quiet after that again. Pepé played with his fingers anxiously, what if Speedy had just come to make fun of him? To see just what a mess he had become? Pepé looked around his home, it was messy for the most part, very dark, the only bright light source being his desktop in the corner of his office down the hall. He felt embarrassed. The man most filled with pride felt embarrassed...

"How are you holding up?" Speedy asked, placing a friendly paw on Pepé's.

He sighed, shivering. He wanted to break into tears.

"Not very well," He told him.

He let out a devastating laugh, one that let the other know how sad and miserable he truly was.

"I just don't know what to do, you know?" He sniffled, swiping away the tears beginning to prick.

He hadn't cried about this in a while. He had honestly thought he had cried his lifetime's worth. He didn't realize he wanted to talk to someone about this either.

"I do know," Speedy nodded, still looking at Pepé, "'90s was wild, sí?" He laughed a bit too, although, his was much more cheerful.

Pepé had almost forgotten that Speedy had been removed, too. Of course, he was brought back due to his dedicated fan base.

"Oh..." Pepé chuckled sheepishly, "Of course you do, my apologies."

Speedy nudged him playfully, "Come on man, it's not all bad. Have you seen the trouble you've stirred?"

Pepé's heart sunk. Maybe the mouse was here to make fun of him...

But still, he didn't have the energy to refuse, to resist, when Speedy insisted that they go to his computer for him to show Pepé just how much this mattered.

For a moment, Pepé was amused as Speedy hoped across his desk to type on such a large keyboard for his size. He almost let out a sweet chuckle before going flush as Speedy hit enter.

Surprisingly though, Pepé wasn't horrified with what he saw on the screen.

"What's this?..." He muttered, taking a step closer.

"Your fan base, man!" Speedy exclaimed, "Look how mad they are about you being pulled out!"

Pepé took the mouse, scrolling down the page. Truthfully there were a few mean comments scattered about, but they were mostly overshadowed by the sweet ones.

He scrolled for a while, Speedy never got bored watching as Pepé's face was overwashed with some sort of relief. He may have been there for an hour or two before Pepé wanted to stop for a moment.

"Merci," He whispered, mostly to the empty room.

Speedy smiled, "I'm glad you feel a bit better, man," Speedy pat his back gently, "Say, why don't we get some real food into you?" He ushered Pepé out of the office and towards the door.

"Perhaps that would be nice."

"Great!" He smiled, letting himself out, "How do you feel about pizza?"