First day of school and the worst thing possible happens

I push my way through the over-crowded hallway trying to get to my locker. Jeez . I was fifteen minutes early. I didn't particularly love being early to school , I just wanted to find my locker and get my stuff on time. Seems like everyone had the same idea though. 

I sigh as I get to my locker and dump my bag onto the floor and open the locker. The code doesn't work. Oh God please no. I try the code again. Nothing. I pull on the lock in the hopes it would open but of course, no such luck. Great. I'm going to be late on the first day back to school. 

Heart beating loudly, I open my bag and take the slip of paper I had printed out with the school-furnished code on it.  OHH. I had put 10 instead of 01... oops. 

I put in my actual code again and pray before pulling it aggressively to open. To my relief, it opens. 

"First day back and your already mad," a voice behind me says. I go rigid and turn around slowly. Please don't let it be him please, anyone but him. I'm met with glinting green eyes and a satisfied smirk on an annoyingly hot face peering down at me from a few inches above my head. Jason. 

"Can't say I'm surprised, Aadhi, you keep pretending like you care about school when you don't," he continued with that God-awful smirk.

I- Who did he think he was. Well other than my rival since the fourth grade. 

"If my grades are any indication, my 'pretending' is better than you actually caring," I reply. Not my best comeback, but it was early in the morning and my brain was still half asleep. 

Jason just rolls his eyes and opens his mouth to say something. Luckily I was saved by one of Jason's soccer friends shouting at him from a few feet away from us. How he managed to yell loud enough is beyond me, I could barely hear myself think.

I stick my tongue at Jason's back as he turns to do whatever he does before class starts. Probably bribing teachers to give him good grades. 

"Boo!" someone shouts while grabbing my shoulders. I turn, again (I'm probably burning  many carbs just by turning around). I narrow my eyes at the golden haired girl standing in front of me that I call one of my closest friends. Well I don't call her that, she is one of my closest friends but I call her "bro" or  "dude" or occasionally,  Ava. 

"Was that supposed to be scary?" I tease her, my terrible mood from my encounter with Jason falling away.

"Obviously not," she says. "Anyway do you know what class you're in?"

" Of course, I have Spanish right now." 

"Ughhh. I have math," Ava whines. 

"Great so we aren't together in math or Spanish,"  I groan.     

The bell rings and after some more whining from both of us, Ava walks away to her class and I gather my stuff for Spanish. 

I walk into class hopeful for nice classmates. My hopes plunges down into the deep trenches of hell when I see the first person in the class. Jason Sanchez. Jason freaking Sanchez is in my Spanish class. I bet he's good at Spanish too. This year is not going to be a good one. 

The last time we were in the same class was in grade four when we first met. Both of us were new and I guess we wanted to impress the teacher or the other students, but we both got good grades. And our nine year old egos couldn't handle being tied in anything so we went out of our way to beat each other's grades. 

Luckily we haven't been in a class together since then, but that doesn't mean the competitiveness isn't there.  In grade five we would write letters to each other, bragging about our grades to see who was better. Then once we got our phones, we texted each other and it's been like that for the past six years. Until now. 

________________________________________________________________________________Author's Note; This is my first attempt at writing a story and I know it's quite boring. I promise it gets better though. I have some ideas in my head that I think would be nice I just need the time to write though.  Anyway, Thank you so much for choosing to give this story a chance I appreciate it a lot <3