Chapter One: Academy

"Are we really going to school?" Nudge asked excitedly, swinging her legs, which were dangling off a barstool. She swiftly turned around to the countertop, where a bowl of cereal sat before her.

"Yup, but it isn't normal school," Bree told her. She poured milk into Gazzy, Iggy and her own bowls of cereal.

"So...like, no history or math?"

"Nope," Chase said. "I wish though."

"Dweeb," Adam teased him.

I inspected the wetsuit-like uniforms that we were all dressed in. When I had sliced wing slits in the back of them, Davenport had cringed a bit, but never said anything. It reminded me of the time that I had cut wing slits in the backs of Navy uniforms in Hawaii and watched as all the officers freaked out.

"And we have to wear these things on mandatory notice?" I asked.

"Sadly," Leo said mournfully. He began to pester Bree. "Why am I still a level yellow?"

Bree ignored him.

"Max?"

I jumped from the couch and whirled to see none other then my baby, Angel, standing in the hallway next to the kitchen, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

Honestly, I don't believe that I've ever felt so much relief flow through my veins. The neurothroxin hadn't taken permanent damage on her.

"Angel!" Gazzy shouted excitedly. He leapt from his barstool and ran to his sister, embracing her in a hug.

"Careful, Gazzy. She just recovered, we don't need to suffocate her," I giggled, noticing how tight he had his arms wrapped around her. Gazzy broke from the hug.

"You feeling okay?" Bree asked Angel sweetly. I felt a twinge of either jealousy or protectiveness. Quickly, I shook it off. Bree was just concerned, that's all.

"Yeah, just hungry," she mumbled. As she tried to walk, she swayed a little. The next thing I knew, I was dashing across the room to keep her from hitting the floor. Adam beat me to it, catching Angel barely a few inches from a day's worth of a headache.

"She's still a bit woozy," Davenport inferred. "Here, put her on the couch."

My chest constricted as Adam picked Angel up in baby form and carried her over to the couch. He set her gently on the couch.

"Sweetie, are you sure you're okay?" I asked her.

"Just hungry," Angel repeated. Bree supersped over next to us.

"Bowl of cereal, on the house," she beamed. I smiled, picking up on her hospitality. I felt as though it mirrored Dr. Martinez's.

After Angel ate her cereal, she began to walk again. This time, she was able to stand with strength and stability.

"Okay, now that that's taken care of, it's time to get to the academy. To the hydroloop!"

Feeling uncertainty swell inside my instincts, I led my Flock and Xena to the hydroloop and we piled in.

And, for the first time in what seemed like years, we were off toward an Academy.

The Bionic Academy.

"Iggy Griffiths?" Krane questioned. "Why the hell do we need him? He's blind for god's sake!"

"Because," Ari/Douglas leered. "If we take him, Max will be more compelled to save him. He's blind! He won't be able to see anything, guide himself—perfect weak spots. And, it just so happens that we know his parents." He chuckled. "They're going to be a huge part in this plan."

Krane glanced at him with a deranged and crazed look in his eyes. "You better know what the hell you're doing."

***

I know, I'm two days late. I'm sorry. So now I can say that Installment Two is officially up! And...

Who else is super excited for May 18?! I am I am I am!!!! Like seriously!!!

I also made a thing.

James Patterson: "I need an idea for a book...oh, I know!" *makes Nevermore and says 'RIP Max.'*

Fandom: *cri*

James Patterson: —3 years later— *holds up Maximum Ride Forever, Maximum Ride action figures, and a comic book, plus the possibility of a movie* "SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS"