prelude

HIYOSHI RYUONNE HAD FLOWN TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN. Of the Hidden Village of Sand toward the eastern border, she had grown up in vibrant seasons filled with sand as harsh as diamond and as endless as the sea. She knows the signs and symptoms of heatstroke and how to conserve water until the next measly rainstorm and how to kill a man by drowning him in the ground which he vastly underestimates.

She had grown up in one of the small farming settlements just outside of the stronghold,  it was never written in her cards to join the warmongerers of her own village much less of the West. Ryuonne's parents and her grandparents had made their livings and built their empire around war, skirting around the bloodshed that many others dirtied their time, hands, and money with. The closest the Hiyoshi line got to law enforcement was a distillery aunt who married a law enforcement official from the city.

At first, she continued her combative training for self-defense purposes. As the first daughter and third heir to the throne of the Hiyoshi cactus farms, she was constantly getting picked on by her older and stronger brothers. She had not yet realized how large of a threat the outside world could be. Her parents allowed her to proceed to the chunin level without validating her entire prospective future, and by the time Ryuonne set her sights on the Jounin exam—there was no turning back.

It was not the first time that Ryuonne had gone to the Hidden Village of the Leaves, as the daughter to a long legacy of traders, she traveled like royalty because she could afford to pay a pretty penny in her parent's name. Her uncle had come for business from the East and took it upon himself to book an escort that would accompany his first niece and her two classmates to their first Jounin trials.

And it was then when Hiyoshi Ryuonne first met Hatake Kakashi. They got along about as well as two teenagers with conflicting personalities would get along. Ryuonne was a businesswoman by nature and Hatake was a judgmental rule-following brat.

They had crossed paths Hatake and his team and Ryuonne tending to her business, quite a few times in the Third Shinobi War. The Hiyoshi empire was growing, undoubtedly and rapidly. They imported entire families looking for a new life away from something as barbaric as war and in turn, exported more goods than ever with inflation-tainted money.

They were not friends nor enemies, but Ryuonne found a boy with silver hair facedown in the sand and had an itching feeling that they had met before. She was an opportunist, maybe the snot-nosed guard might be of use in the future.

After all, if a person dies alone in the desert, have they even lived to make a sound?