I was not prepared for this

It started as speckles, painting the concrete her high heels rapped on in patches of darker drops among the resounding light grey.With a resigned sigh she gracefully removed the umbrella from her designer bag and in one swift movement had it above her ivory, lop-sided ponytail. Weiss thanked her past self for sensing the rumbling storm that was now above her and having the wisdom to pack her umbrella, if only she had received her temporary courtesy car already then she wouldn't even have to be stood waiting for the bus. Yet here she was, pausing by the sign that advertised the bus schedule, and pointedly avoiding the gaze of any other citizens who were joining her on the sidewalk.

    She checked her wrist and noticed that it would be another five minutes until the bus arrived, if it was running on time of course, so she cast her curious gaze around the bustling storefronts and spotted a tall blonde woman stood a few feet away.

    She was glaring up at the clouds as if her rage would stem the flow of rain that was steadily growing thicker with every drop and her luscious golden hair seemed to be reacting rather poorly to the dismal weather indeed.

    Weiss smirked when the woman ran a frustrated hand through her wet locks and kicked a booted foot at the puddle in front of her. She was certainly not dressed for anything but a sunny day and she glowered at her phone screen after fishing it out of the pocket of her shorts to presumably check the time, at least she was wearing an orange scarf to combat the chill that Weiss could feel through her white pea coat.

    The rain increased into a furious downpour and lilac eyes, wide in their dismay, caught Weiss' haughty gaze.

    Oh no. No, no, no. That isn't going to work on me.

    A hesitant- or perhaps feigned hesitant- smile was all Weiss could focus on as she inwardly cursed this stupidly good-looking stranger.

Is she moving closer?

    And now she was barely a metre away and still flashing that hopeful smile that had Weiss turning to face her completely.

"Hi, I'm Yang."

    "What do you want?" Weiss almost winced when Yang's friendly expression faltered as she retracted her outstretched hand.

    "Nothing, just wanted to say 'hi' but you obviously didn't like that so... uh- sorry." It occurred to Weiss that Yang most likely had never been outright rejected having her looks, explaining her shock and apparent awkwardness as she shuffled her feet through a puddle.

    "People never just want to say 'hi'."

    They always want something from me.

    Yang clicked her tongue and looked off to the side. "I'd have to disagree with you there princess."

    There was a moment that was filled only by the passing vehicles, the pattering of the heavy downpour and those around them.

    "Weiss," Yang jerked her head towards her and creased her eyebrows, "my name. I'm Weiss."

    "Oh." Yang smiled again and Weiss believed she should start charging people for the pleasure of seeing her face painted into such a beautiful expression. "That's an interesting name, German right?"

"Yes. I moved here as a child. Yang doesn't seem local either," Weiss tilted her head and clung tighter to the metal handle of her umbrella.

    "I'm half Chinese actually," she answered, as she rested a hand on her hip, "are you waiting for the bus?"

    "No, I take great pleasure in standing in the rain on a Monday evening," Weiss replied with a biting sarcasm.

    "Careful," Yang leaned closer, almost under the edge of Weiss' umbrella, "you may freeze the rain with that kind of Weiss-y attitude."

    "Do you make a habit of pestering strangers?"

    "Not all of them." Yang smirked until her eyes sought Weiss' out with a peculiar seriousness. "If you really want me to leave you alone I guess I could spend my time looking for some shelter, I have a feeling the bus is going to be pretty late."

    Weiss closed her eyes, sighed and then took in another of Yang's hopeful smiles, small yet undoubtedly adorable.

    She shuffled closer and lifted her umbrella up to offer Yang some respite from the seemingly continuous rain. However she didn't take into account just how much of a height difference they shared, resulting in Yang getting a blow to the head in Weiss' generosity.

    "Sorry!" Weiss blushed profusely, she hadn't intended to end her Monday assaulting strangers with an umbrella.

    "Heh," Yang recovered from the blow to her forehead and stooped lower, "I'm okay, thanks for uh letting me under here."

    "Of course. I'm worried that your head may have damaged my umbrella though," Weiss teased when she realised that Yang was fine. "You couldn't have just stopped growing a bit earlier?"

    "And you couldn't have grown a bit taller?" Yang grinned at her and Weiss pulled the umbrella lower, forcing the smug giant to curve considerably to continue to fit, her damp hair pressed against the water-proof material. "...It's a bit... snug under here," Yang commented, forcing Weiss to take note of their closeness.

    "It was only made for one person," Weiss said as she looked up at bright lilac eyes and swallowed hard.

    "Well if you're uncomfortable just let me know." Weiss smiled at that, as if she would be uncomfortable when Yang was the one hunched over.

    "Perhaps you should hold it?"

    "Sure!" Yang gratefully accepted the handle and stood up straight, holding the umbrella over both their heads, and Weiss closed the gap between them to press their sides together and ensure none of her would be caught in the downpour. "Are you on your way somewhere nice?"

    Weiss took a moment to remember that instead of focusing on the hand so close to hers that it would take no effort to just clasp it gently she was being engaged in conversation.

    "No, I'm going home actually," Weiss began to hope the bus was even later than usual, "are you?"

    "Gym trip," Yang gestured to the bag slung over the shoulder furthest from Weiss, "but I'm starting to think it just isn't meant to be tonight." She glared at the clouds again until turning to smile down at Weiss. "This may be a bit forward but I-"

    With the screeching of tires and a colossal splash a car swerved past them and brought about a wave of water that reared before Weiss tauntingly before it embraced her in a cold wetness from head to toe that no umbrella could have prevented. She let out a gasp, blinking the water out of her eyes, and reared her most ferocious glare at the receding taillights of the car that had committed the foul deed.

    "Shit, are you okay?" Yang asked as she herself brushed her sopping hair from her eyes, having not escaped the splash zone herself.

    "No. I can't believe anyone would be as much of an idiotic- ugh! Who disregards the weather conditions when driving?!" She stamped her foot against the concrete. "If I had taken their licence number I would be pressing charges against them for dangerous driving! And I am supposed to ride the bus in this state?!"

    "I live just a couple minutes away," Yang began rubbing at the back of her neck and avoided Weiss' angry gaze, "if you uh wanted to- I mean you could use my dryer if you wanted and then catch a later bus?"

    Weiss froze still as she considered this offer, wanting to be at home- warm and dry and preferably reading a book in bed- at that very moment yet she didn't want to sit in her drenched attire shivering her entire journey home.

    "That would be lovely, thank you Yang."

    "Really?" Her face shone with the smile that graced it and Weiss found her own lips tilting upwards at the sight. "Great! I mean sure, just follow me."

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Sorry for not being on for a while, I've had to work extra hours to help pay my family's bills. Thank god for free wi-fi cafes ha ha. I'll try to write more soon >.<