Little bear

He was gone again, another evening you had all to yourself. It was a nice evening, you did some painting, had a cup of tea, a little tidying, listened to a podcast; the usual. The moon was out and high in the sky, making the grass outside seem strange in colour. It was rare to have a cloudless night, especially in autumn. It was later than usual that Michael finally returned, and it wasn't as if you stayed up for him, you reasoned, although it was so nice to see him. The chill in the air, he must've noticed it, so you made a hot chocolate for the both of you – mixing his a little sweeter than yours – and went out to greet him.

He would do that often, linger in the shadows before coming in. You never asked him about it, figuring it was just something he needed to do, like the many things that still somewhat puzzled you about his behaviour.

"Hey, love," you greeted him, "it's nice out, but damn cold. I made you something warm."

He took it from you, his eyes fond behind the eerily pale mask. The moonlight made the colours odd and he looked even more like a ghost or a shape. The moon... You stared up at it, halting your movements to pull your cardigan tighter over your shoulders. A shiver ran through you. The sky was so vast, and you so small. And even Michael, however big for a man, was less than a tiny ant when seen from space. Everything was lightyears apart, eons of time that have shaped everything around you, and it seemed to come together. The worries of the day faded. They didn't matter after all, not to the universe, not to the stars, not to the moon. Human life may be insignificant, but you were happy, and you were loved, and even more than that: you were filled with love, and that feeling quieted your mood with a fond softness.

It was an impressive sight. Beside the moon, there were the twinkles of many, many stars in the ink blackness of the sky. You sighed.

"It's a dream to think of the sky without light pollution," you said, more of a thought.

Michael pulled you into his chest with an arm, steaming mug still in hand, careful to hold it away from you. He was warm, firm. The coveralls glistened wet with something sticky, and you pulled away.

"Stay out with me a while?" And you crouched down to the grass, putting the hot mug down to sit down comfortably. The grass was cold and damp with dew, but it was fine, just for a night. And the stars, they made up for it. It felt like a special night.

To your surprise, although it shouldn't have surprised you, Michael followed your movements and sat down by you. You shifted to sit in between his legs, letting him hold you and allowing your head to rest on his shoulder as you stared up at the sky, cheek to his chilly latex mask. His breaths were steady and you rose and fell along with the inhales and exhales. His humanity endeared you, his fingers around the handle of the mug endeared you.

"I never knew much of the constellations, but I know that one is the small bear," you pointed to a sauce pan made up of several stars. "Or the big bear, who knows."

Michael stayed quiet, as he always did, but the rustling behind you, followed by the lifting of the mug confirmed he took off the mask. He gulped right by your ear. You drank too, feeling a warmth bloom inside, but were sure it was from him more than from the hot cocoa.