The Start of The End

"This just in, there is a raid on the parking lot of Walmart. It is 4:30pm right now. How is it looking down there, Ellen?" Douglas Mitch asks. The camera switches to Ellen Parker. "It is chaos down here, Doug. People are literally eating each other alive." Ellen said. "It looks like their faces are rotting from up here." Douglas said. "Yeah, they look pretty messed up from down here too." Ellen said, as her face scrunched up in disgust, "They seem to have turned into a greenish-gray and have red splotches all over them." She continued. One of the zombies began running towards her. She screamed in terror, and began to run, but it caught up with her pretty quickly. It bit her in the neck and a stream of blood ran down her neck. Her body dropped, and the zombie continued to chew. It then stared at the camera man and started running towards him. He also screamed. The TV then turned into a color bar, then to static. My mom switched off the TV, as I closed my bedroom door. I walked over to my bed, collapsed into it, sinking. "Zombies, huh?" I asked myself. I reached into my pocket for my phone. I scrolled through the notifications. More news. Two missed calls from my dad, and five new messages from my friend, Hannah. Hannah has been my best friend since middle school. She's also my ex, but we've always stuck together. She's gotten me through some shitty times. Family stuff, boy and girl drama, heh, math exams. I should check on her. I sat up and called Hannah's phone. It began to ring. I bit my lip and clenched my shorts anxiously. "Come on, Hannah, pick up." I whispered to myself. The ringing ended. "Hey, Iz!" Hannah answered. "Oh, thank god!" I exclaimed. The syntheticity of her voice was a breath of fresh air. "I thought you'd become one of those things," I said. "Where are you right now?" "I'm still at home. What do you mean "those things''?" Hannah asked. "You haven't seen the news? People who caught the virus are turning into these zombie-like things." I told her. "That's horrible." Hannah said, solemnly. "Yeah, it really..." I began, but before I could finish, my mom came in. "Izzy, I need you to pack up, we're leaving." She said. "To where?" I questioned. "Away from here, that's all I know." She said. She walked out, closing the door on her way out. I sighed. "Well, alright, I better go." I said. "Yeah, hey! You be safe out there!" She exclaimed. A small giggle fell from my breath. "I'll try." I said. I hung up, and swung my legs to the side of the bed. I stared at my wall. There was a poster with my favorite quote. "Be the change you wish to see in the world," by Gandhi. Hard to do that when the world is literally ending. It wasn't until I got to high school that I realized he didn't even say that, but it was still one of my favorite quotes. I sighed, then got up. I grabbed my backpack out of my closet, and began to pack. As I packed, I noticed a picture frame on my nightstand. It was of me, my dad, and my older sister, Angelica. My dad was in the military. He and my mom divorced when I was very little. My sister died in a car crash at 13 years old, along with my aunt. She and I were adopted. I held it close to my chest, then put the picture in my bookbag. Once I was finished, I put my arms through the straps of my backpack and the straps sat on my shoulders, such a heavy weight. I opened my door and walked out of my room to the sight of my mom, at the kitchen counter, putting ammo in a gun, a pistol maybe. She bought it when we first moved here out of pure paranoia and caution. She cocked the gun, then examined it very closely. "Heh, this is definitely not how I expected to use this thing." She said, as a smirk spread across her face. She stuffed it into her backpack and put the straps over her shoulders. "Alright, let's head out." She said, as she began to walk towards the front door. She grabbed the car keys off of a plaque that labeled "Keys" with 3 hooks on it. Mom opened the door and we both walked out as I closed the door behind us. This was probably the last time I was ever going to see this house, at least in one piece. I was gonna miss it. All the laughs, all the cries. We walked to the car and got in. My mom gazed at the house, grinning just a bit. I could tell she was going to miss this place too. She put the car into ignition and into reverse. We drove out the driveway, and through our street. I stared out the window intently at all of the cookie-cutter houses. It was almost bitter-sweet. "Hey," Mom said, "I know this is scary, but we'll get through it, I promise." I looked at her and nodded. She grinned. "Maybe we'll go stay with Granny Mary and Grandpa Markus." She said. "Do you... think they'll be alright?" I asked, hesitantly. "They live in the middle of the woods, hopefully those fuckers don't notice them. Besides, if they do, dad has his hunting rifle, he'll just shoot the hell out of them." Mom reassured me. "Hmm, yeah." I said, as I looked back out the window. My mom looked at me, then continued to look at the road. After about, maybe 15 minutes, the car stopped. I looked in front of me. Traffic. Traffic at a time like this. Horns began to hunk. Shouts of profanity spewed out of people's mouths, like carnival food after a long rollercoaster ride. My mom began honking her horn. "Dammit, what's taking so long?" Mom asked, angrily. "Try backing out." I said. Mom put the car into reverse, as we heard the crunch of metal. We heard a muffled "what the hell?!" from the guy behind us. I rolled down my window, looked behind, and shouted, "Sorry!" I rolled my window back up and my mom pulled up to where we were before. "Got any more great ideas?" Mom asked, sarcastically. "Um, well..." I stammered, "Try the local radio! There might be something going on." Mom leaned down and turned on the radio. "There has been an accident on the highway. Hundreds of infected are blocking the road, causing heavy traffic." A man on the radio said. "No shit, Sherlock." I muttered, as I rolled my eyes. "They think a blockade is gonna stop hundreds of zombies? People in this city are more dumbasses than I thought." Mom said, very pissed. She pounded the horn, like a street fighter in a very heated battle. "Mom, calm down." I said. "I AM CALM!" She yelled. I jumped at her yell. I'd never seen her so angry. This whole thing must've really gotten to her. She sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just... very aggravated." She said. "We all are, right now, but we just need to hang on..." Before I could finish my sentence, a big mac truck began crashing into cars at our right. Me and my mom stared in perpetual fear. "Izzy, get out of the car. NOW!" Mom exclaimed. We both started unbuckling our seat belts in panic. Mom began getting out of the car and quickly got her book bag out of the backseat. I did the same. But it was already too late. *CRASH!!!!**BOOM!!!!*