Short story

"MOM! MOM! He's awake." A young girl of maybe 14 yells out as she runs up to her mother. Her mother looked down at her in a complete daze. "Mom? Did you hear me? He's awake!"

"A-are you sure honey?"

"Yes. Trust me I haven't gone crazy. He's AWAKE! First I saw his finger move slightly then his hand moved." The young girl grabbed her mother's arm as she pulled her towards the room excited beyond words. "C'mon Hurry!"

Once the news spread that a patient has woken up the room was full of nurses and a doctor. They all focused on taking the young man's vitals and asking him questions while the mother and daughter stood outside waiting for their turn to see him. Finally it was their turn. The first one to enter the room was the young girl! She teared up at the sight of her older brother awake and sitting up, somewhat.

"Natsu" The young man spoke with a hoarse voice. His lips cracked here and there and his complexion a little pale.

"Shoyo!" Natsu flung herself into her brothers arms tears pouring out of her eyes. For 4 years all she could do was sit by idly while her brother Laid in a coma. Those 4 years she spent telling her brother about her days at school, the sports festivals and how she was doing in her volley ball team while he laid silent on a bed. His only noise being the beeping of the machine.

"Shoyo." A gentle voice came from the door frame. Shoyo looked over and saw his mother. Stressed and tired. She looked like she had aged almost 20 years but still she was as soft and kindhearted as always. He smiled at her then fell back to sleep.

"Shoyo?" Natsu stood up straight when she felt his gentle touch on her arm leave. "Shoyo!"

"shhhhh Natsu. It's ok. It's ok sweetie." Their mother was quick to her daughter's side to calm her down, "he just fell back to sleep. We'll talk to him again once he wakes." Natsu nods her head as her mother spoke. Every word being lost in the wave of worry that still plagued the both of them.

A couple days later Shoyo Hinata was wide awake anxious to see his sister and mother. He ate his food quickly though he did almost gag a couple times. Hospital food was definitely not his forte. After the tray has been taken out his family walked in.

"Shoyo!!" Natsu plopped her self down onto him hugging what life he had out of him.

"Oh Natsu!" Their mother giggled as she put a bag of stuff down at the table in the corner. "You're gonna squeeze the life out of him."

"I can't help it!" Natsu's voice swayed as she spoke. Tears weren't far behind. Shaking her head their mother dragged Natsu off of Shoyo and made her stand properly.

"You want him to see how much you've grown right?" She asked Natsu as she fixed her daughter's hair and wiped out some creases beginning to form in her shirt.

Shoyo's eyes widened when he saw how big his little sister got. But then, then he began to question things. Like how old was she now and how long has he been out of it. He swallowed back the lump forming in his throat.

"Wow Natsu. You got so big. Mom she got so big." Tears welled up in his eyes and his voice began to break as his gaze switch between the two. "H-How long was I out of it?"

"Oooo honey." His mother shook her head as she sat on the edge of his bed holding her son close. "4 Years. You've been in a coma for 4 years."

"F-Four years? In a coma? I-I-I don't understand" His voice got small. He looked down to his hands and began to play with the IV in his vein.

"Do you have any memories you can recall?" She asked him, her voice as smooth as silk trying her damndest to keep him calm and collected.

"I... I remember riding on the bus with my team. We were on our way back from a game. Like a prefectural Qualifying game. We won that game. Then while driving home someone called out something then everything went black. That's all I can remember." He looked up at Natsu who was now sitting on the foot of the bed staring at him intensely.