1.

"Are you really gonna keep this place looking so dull" Stacy asked she barged into my office unannounced, not that she ever knocks or anything

I groaned for what felt like the fiftieth time that day.

"Stacy, I'm not repainting the office. It's fine just the way it is." I replied her calmly.

She rolled her eyes at me, but I was thankful she let the topic go.

"I still can't believe they made you my boss. That's not fair. You know all of my slacking off antics and my excuses to get off early" she whined as she offered herself a chair.

I laughed at her words. She was right. I knew all of her tricks and antics. It was going to be very difficult working as her boss. But I really had no choice. This promotion came just at the right time!

I had been debating getting a new apartment and replacing my car for a newer version but that would've put such a huge strain on my budget. But then this new position came and pay was just awesome. I could now afford that, and more!

"Well, you're just gonna have to get used to having me bossing you around. Now play nice, otherwise I will ask you to work through lunch" I teased.

Stacy looked at me with a frown. I knew just how much she loved her lunch. Making her work through lunch would be the ultimate torture.

As she was about to reply, with an insult probably, there was a knock on my door.

"Hey Miss Martin, Mr Larson has requested that you join him in a meeting in the next five minutes. Large boardroom." Ben, my secretary informed me.

It felt unfamiliar, having a secretary and all. But then again, I wasn't even used to having my own office yet. I'm sure very soon it would all be natural.

"Okay Ben, thank you!" I smiled.

Stacy frowned at as she stood up with me and I raised a questioning brow at her.

"Do you think it's true that Mr Larson is leaving" she asked me and I shook my head.

"I don't think so Stacy. You know how Mr Larson loves this company. He'd never leave it, at least not until they have to wheel him out in a wheelchair when he refuses to retire" I commented.

They had been a lot of rumours flying around that Mr Larson, our CEO, was leaving the company due to the restructuring. A lot of whispers where going around about potential candidates to replace him since he had no heir.

In conclusion, the office was in complete chaos these days. From shifts in position, to people losing their jobs and others being demoted, everything was just so upside down.

I walked out of the office, leaving Stacy with a huge frown as she walked back to her cubicle. I heard her grumbling about how she was gonna move her stuff into my office and work there now and I rolled my eyes.

Stacy was dramatic to say the least. She was loud and nosey, the best qualities of a bestfriend. We had met when I first started working here after I moved from LA. We just hit it off and we've been inseparable since. And I wouldn't wanna have it any other way. I made my way to the boardroom, willing myself to be calm.

This was my first meeting with the big boss since my promotion. Hell, it was my first meeting with him in general. Being the head of the Risk Management Department was not something I had expected to achieve in just 5 years. No one had expected me to achieve it either. But here I was, heading my own department in this big corporation.

Harden's Inc was the biggest IT firm in New York, and it did not there without struggle. Mr Larson, the CEO and the owner, had worked himself to the ground just so it could be where it is today. He was passionate about it and it was literally his baby, hence why I did not believe he would leave just like that.