Sneaking Out Of The PG

10:45 PM

The noisy street of Oakfield housing numerous poorly constructed buildings on both the sides of the mud road fell asleep on the arrival of the countless bright stars tucked in the clouds which was the only pleasant sight for the people of Oakfield. A strong gust of wind rendering its hovering sound mingled with the sound of crickets pierced the deafening silence. It was pitch dark except for a small window at the corner of the second floor of a disheveled building named Rose Apartments. Except for the name, nothing was Rosy about the building. Right from poor lighting to creaky footsteps everything was out of the place. The window was fastened, however, the occasional flash of lights reflected on the window glass. Those lights were from a television set inside the bedroom that was playing one of the popular shows that young girls never miss out on - Fashionista Icon. A bevy of beauty models wearing outfits from cute to temperature dropping were walking on the ramp in a sequence. There was a torn sofa opposite the television set occupied by a lady in her fifties sleeping like a log. She dozed off with the remote control tightly held in one hand that was springing out of the sofa. Apart from the television sound and the lady's high-pitched snoring, a creaking sound followed as the door of the corner room opened.

A girl wearing a white nightgown and a pair of slippers tiptoed towards the middle bedroom. She closed her eyes for a second before sticking her head inside the bedroom. Her emerald green eyes were relieved to see the warden fast asleep. She hugged the wall with her heels high to check out the coffee mug on the table. She got back to her feet as she popped her head outside and let out a breath, "Phew! She kicked in the coffee drugged with sleeping pills!" She went back to her bedroom. Her room was smaller than the bedroom in the middle and was home to three girls. All of them were fast asleep on the hard mattress laid on the middle of the floor making it difficult for the girl to walk through the other side of the room. She leaned against the wall and dragged herself to the left end of the mattress where she slept. She grabbed the phone beneath her pillow and squeezed herself again on the wall to come out of the room.

She walked towards the living room next to the warden's bedroom and unlocked her phone. Her slender fingers typed a small message to one contact named Ella, "I am coming in a while!" She pushed the phone inside the nightgown pocket and walked towards the cabinet. She pressed her lips as she opened the cabinet hoping that the broken door wouldn't make any noise and pulled out a small box wrapped in blue paper under the pile of clothes. After keeping the gift on the window sill, she walked to her warden's room. A couple of deep breaths helped her thrust the fear of being caught. She tiptoed inside her warden's room with her eyes occasionally gaping at the warden and the row of hooks attached to the wall. She took out the keys and tip-toed outside the room. She huffed, "Gosh, I got the keys! Finally!"

She took out her white nightgown and her hands started smoothening the creases of her red sleeveless crop top with a round neck. Serena would usually wear a loose shirt with a pair of shorts as the nightwear, however, she chose to wear the loose, old-fashioned nightgown to cheat the warden. She grabbed the heavy metal lock swinging on the handle and unlocked it with one of the rusty keys. On successfully unlocking the door to freedom, she grabbed the gift from the window sill and placed it inside her sling bag, closing the door behind her. She walked down the creaky footsteps, toppling her head side by side to make sure nobody sees. She opened the rusty building door which made a loud noise, however, thanks to the gusty wind that swallowed the sound of the rusty gate. She ran with her hands over her stomach to prevent the top from being blown by the gusty wind.

Her running footsteps slowed down as she spotted a car in the distance. She took a pause with her hands cupping the knees as her energy went down battling the strong wind. On seeing her heaving friend from the rear mirror, Ella swung the car door open and ran towards her friend. "Serena, are you okay?" The wrinkles made their way across Ella's shiny forehead. She had a beautiful pair of arched eyebrows crowning her dark blue eyes. On receiving a nod, Ella put her arm across Serena and made her sit on the front seat. She quickly opened the door and sat inside the driver's seat. Ella cupped her ears to rub away cold and make them warm. She was relieved as the closed doors of the car reduced the noise from outside, however it magnified Serena's uneven breaths. On seeing Serena in a thin red crop top paired with blue jeans and her hands rubbing herself to generate some warmth, Ella grabbed a thermos from the backseat, flipped the lid open and poured her some warm coffee.