Chapter 1

The day was like every other, warm and boring. It was spent sitting through meetings and sipping on my coffee while I doodled on my notes, trying to act like I was paying attention. The chatter of the Kingsman and Nobles talking about the different political and economic issues that we have been facing recently plays in the background as I drag my pencil across the parchment.

"Pay attention!" My father scolds after having enough of watching me draw while he discusses important problems, "Stupid child, why draw a crown when you are here to earn it?! Stop and listen, you need this if you want to be King!"

"Father, I know how to be King, I have spent my whole life in these meetings! Besides, I am turning 18 in 3 months!" I glanced towards him, pulling out another piece of paper only for him to rip it out of my hands and toss its crumpled form next to the pervious one.

"Well then, if you know how to be King, you won't mind if I leave you?" He looks around at the men spread throughout the round table, a challenging look on his face.

"Father wait-" He is gone before I can even mutter another word, leaving me with the gaping and confused faces.

The absence of their King's presence causes their shoulders to slacken, though the fear of speaking while I sit beside them is still evident. One man even has a bead of sweat starting to form on their brow as he glances nervously at me. I have to contain my laugh before I speak, "So... nice weather we are having?"

"Indeed it is," A man in purple who bares the badge of the Royal Guard takes charge of the conversation, "As we were speaking of before, we have to make a decision on the poverty that our people face."

"With spring approaching, that may be our solution to the issue. Higher temperatures means less snow on the ground, food will not be as scarce," A man a few seats down offers up an idea, but it is shot down quickly by the purple man.

"Not if it means forest fires," He shakes his shaggy brunette hair in his face, causing his bangs to brush over his eyes.

"And how will you know the fires will be bad this year?" A man wearing yellow speaks, House of Halle and nineteenth born of the Halle dynasty. I remember his family from my lessons as a child, always the trouble makers.

The purple man raises his head, accepting a challenge, "This winter has been the harshest I have ever seen it, why should that mean that Summer will be any different? Tell me Halle, remember the Winter of 1457? We were 15, 16?"

"16," Yellow man nods.

"Well then, do you remember the Summer? The harsh heat was enough to kill many."

"How could I forget. I lost my sweet cousin Loraine."

"And the Winter before that tragedy?"

"I lost my uncle Ovare due to cold weather conditions."

"Exactly. For some reason, seasons follow after one another. It's almost like one comes to finish off the rest of us, completing the job," Purple man concludes, earning a few nods and hums of agreement, but yellow man isn't done.

"That isn't entirely true, weather is unpredictable. The gods made sure of that by sending us that typhoon when we all believed typhoon season was over!"

"Well the gods can prove me wrong if they want to, but if they don't, I won't let your sorry ass in my house when yours has been demolished by flames," The purple man leans back in his seat, satisfied with his actions and loving the furious look on his opponents face.

The yellow man's face grows red with embarrassment and anger, his fists clenching on the table. His eyes look wild and before he can do anything, I speak, "Okay that is enough! If there is a bad summer, there is a bad summer! We can not do anything about it until it comes closer, in the mean time, let's focus on another subject. What is this I hear about an increase on missing persons?"