Flashing lights

"She don't believe in shooting stars but she believes in shoes and cars"

  The warm night turns from black to red as I wait for my girlfriend of 4 months to come back home to our new apartment in Downtown LA.

An argument about her various (expensive) endeavors during this move lead her to take her things and stay at a hotel out of anger of me not giving her my credit card. She's done this before but always comes back after an hour or two. Los Angeles is a huge city and I hope she isn't lost. She's particularly young compared to me and I try my best to protect her as much as possible.

"Hey Kamilla, ah it's me again. Um, you have never been gone this long and I was wondering where you were. Please call me back my love. I'll give you my card, I promise. Please come back."

My cell phone battery was close to dying after the 5 voicemails I sent were not returned with a call. I put my phone on the charger and was ready to run into the streets to find her when I hear the clacking of high heels on our new wooden floor.

"My love! You came back! I was so worried about you I left you 6 messages where were you-"

She slams the door to the bedroom and throws down a heavy load of shopping bags from God knows where.

"Just leave me alone Dalton! I am tired from all the shopping I do."

Where did she get all these bags from? Who's money did she use? I swear I kept my card in my wallet. Wait, my wallet isn't in my pocket.

She didn't.

"Kamilla", I whisper "did you take my card?"

She rolls her eyes, "If you are mad that I took your stupid card then I  leave again"

I sigh, taking her hand and kissing it, "All the money in the world cannot compete with your beauty my love"

She gives me a smile and turns around in the bed to sleep. I play with her hair, kissing her head from time to time. The humid air gushes through the open window. My heart beats faster than normal, thinking about the diamond ring in my suitcase.

"Dalton go sleep in the couch tonight. I need my space" 

I grimace, "Anything for you my love"

    ~

     In the morning I'm in a rush to pack our things. We are supposed to meet my parents in Florida in about 6 hours and I don't want to keep them waiting. I also want to be able to go over the plans for the proposal. I gathered her favorite authors to sign some of her books and got her favorite singer from her home country to perform before I got down on one knee. 

She's going to be blown away. Not that she'd expect anything less.

"Ugh why are you making so much noise in the morning?" 

I dropped the suitcase and gave her a confused look, "Kamilla, we talked about this, we're going to visit my parents in Florida" 

She pulled the covers over her head and sighed, "I don't want to go I do not feel well" 

I felt my skin burn red and my breathing quicken. She HAS to come with me. I've been planning this for 8 months. 

"Are you sure sweetheart? I mean, I can take you to the doctor in Miami, my parents will understand."

She shifts under the blanket and lets out a dramatic sigh. I nod my head and sit on the edge of the bed, "It would mean a lot to me if you came" 

No answer. 

I stand up and grab my bag. Taking another look at her covered figure, I softly close the door. 

What do I know?

~

On the plane, I think back to all the good times we shared on this special day. Our anniversary. Maybe today isn't the day I'm meant to ask her to be my wife.  

"Sir, would you like some champagne?" 

I nod reaching for my wallet. 

It's not there. 

Darn, I must have left it in the apartment. I take my phone out beginning to call Kamilla, but I get a notification saying that $1,000,000 has been taken out of my account. 

What in the world?

I call Kamilla since she is the only person that has access to my account. 

She doesn't pick up. 

$100,000 has been taken out of the account of : DALTON MYERS to DUBAI REAL ESTATE

"KAMILLA WHERE THE H*LL ARE YOU" I yell

I hear the curious whispers of the other passengers, but they soon fade due to the anger brewing inside of me. 

~

Laughter comes from the inside of the large apartment. 

Flashing. 

Lights.

"Yes baby we're so freaking RICH! Come over right now. Okay, love you too Pete" 

Her hips move to the sound of every beat, creating an almost majestic view in her gold sequin dress.  

A knock on the door snaps her out of the trance. She smilies practically skipping to the door.

"Oh my gosh Pete we are so- 

A tall dark figure appears in front of her eyes. Hands grab her neck limiting the air fighting to come through. 

"D-dalton?" she coughs

What do you know?

"You know nothing, my love, absolutely nothing"