XIV

N'laisah Dior Olsen
Monroe, Louisiana

I sit on a chair in front of a glass barrier waiting for my father to be brought in.

Soon a guard escorts him to sit in front of me. I pick up the phone and take a deep breath.

"Hey dad, how you been?" I ask nervously.

"I've been alright sweetie. I'd be better if you came to visit more often tho."

"I know and I'm going to visit every other couple of days for now on. Mom always tells me to make the best of the time we have left."

"Your mother is so amazing, you and Veah have to take care of her alright? It's going to hit her hard when I'm gone, we've been together 34 years." I nod.

"Veah doesn't like to feel like she's burdening people, she's going to act like she okay but she won't be. Please make sure you check on her, she's going to become very closed off and self destructive."

"I will dad."

"N'laisah, now I love you and I want things for you that you can't get living the way you're living. I never want you to be in my position, you have to get out of these streets baby." He shakes his head.

I smack my teeth and he sighs.

"I love you and you better keep yo word." He gets up.

"Love you too dad, and I promise." I smile.

The guards take him away and I sit in my car for a minute, crying.

"Bad bitches don't cry." I cry.

I wipe my tears and drive around. I end up going to the pawn shop because I forgot to pawn the tv.

"Hey Russ." I say walking in.

"Ecstasy, my favorite customer, what you got for me today?"

"An 80 inch tv. It's in the trunk of my car tho and I can't carry it alone." I scratch my neck.

"I gotchu." He goes and gets it from the car for me.

"It's brand new, never used nor opened and worth 3 thousand in Walmart. How much will you take it for?" I ask.

"1,800." He examines it.

"Russssss. You can't give me anymore than that?" I drag.

My... habits have probably made him thousands of thousands over the years.

"For you I go.... 2,200." He negotiates with me.

"In cash please." I cheese.

"Of course, of course." He nods.

I walk back to the car with my purse slightly heavier.

I start to head back home, but I see that same musty ass car following me again.

I put my seatbelt on tightly and push my foot against the gas.

I'm taking the back roads and there's no one else around while I'm doing 100.

I sit my gun in my lap just in case. Then I call Amari and sit my phone on the other seat.

"Hey-"

"Amari, somebody's following me! I'm going a fucking hundred miles an hour and they're speeding up too!" I yell.

"Shit, put yo car in sports mode. Nie where are you?"

"I'm on the back roads, I'm almost at my house." I put the car in sports mode.