THE BEGINNING AND THE END

I rose from the bed alarmed, it was past midnight and I should have been sleeping but my loud subconscious just continued to nag me.I knew the only way to get her to stop, is to finally be able address the issue that depressed me. 

  I have been meaning to have this conversation with Danny but there was never a right time. With Danny it was always one adventure or another, the unending thrill always distracted me from what really mattered. 

  Call me crazy but I found myself acting on impulse. I picked up my coat that was lying on the floor, I dumped it there earlier. I didn't even bother to change the transparent nightie I had on, that was my least worry. 

 I needed my car keys but I had no idea where I last left it, I stopped to stare at my very untidy apartment.I myself wonder how my apartment always gets this messy. I made an even bigger mess as I went in search of the keys. The damn keys were inside the refrigerator all along. What?, don't look at me like that, I too don't know how it ended up in here. 

   I grabbed the keys angrily and then stormed out of my house into my car, leaving the house door unlocked. Okay maybe I was being carefree and overreacting a little bit, okay fine, I was overreacting big time. 

   Danny seemed really surprised to find me knocking on his door by this time of the night, he looked sleepy but my presence alarmed him. He thought maybe there was an emergency of some sort, he seemed worried and let me in at once. 

 I felt bad for disturbing his sleep, I know how much he cherishes a good night sleep but this needed to be sorted out. 

 "What's up, why are you here this late?" he asked. 

"We need to talk" I took off my coat, forgetting what I wore inside. 

 His lustful gaze made me aware at once, I love the desire  in his eyes when looks at me but I was here for business and not pleasure. So I picked it up and wore it immediately. 

 "Don't tell me you drove all the way here just to talk" he had his focus back. 

"I did, only because what we have to talk about is really important " I tapped the couch for him to come sit. 

"Well it better be, because if not, I'm not just going to be mad at you for waking me up but I'm also going to be mad that you drove all the way here this late, couldn't it wait till in the morning" he scolded. 

"No, it is urgent, really urgent "

"Alright speak already, I'm really curious "

  It all seemed so easy to say in my head but now sitting next to him made me nervous,really nervous. 

"Danny I'm a twenty four years old,  African lady " I finally said, he looked perplexed, I wasn't making any sense to him. 

"And? " he raised an eyebrow.

"And not only my family but also society demands that I should get married"

"Who cares about society's opinion "

 Easy for him to say, I'm a woman and being a woman places me on the losing end. 

 "I do, I do Danny, don't you get it?, I'm twenty four and I'm not even yet in a relationship because of your so called 'let's not put a label on our relationship '. I don't get you, do you even love me? "

 What a complicated guy, I wish I knew what was going on in his head at this moment but his expression remained blank. 

 "I need a drink, care for one? " I declined the offer. 

  Seriously, a drink was what he could think about in the middle of a serious conversation. I held myself together as I waited for him to return. 

"Where is all these coming from, I thought you were okay with no commitments and no label being attached to our relationship"