PSA - Feb. 2022

hey

so i know a lot of you won't be expecting an update on this story but i just had something i needed to say

when the film split came out, i was young. i was just a teenager watching a thriller. i didn't think much of the fact that the main antagonist of the film was a man with dissociative identity disorder.

but having grown up, i realize just how damaging this film is to systems everywhere. it perpetuates myths and stereotypes that systems have been battling for years and continue to battle today.

the idea that a person with did is someone who is scary, unstable, dangerous, a criminal, etc. is just flat out wrong. it's wrong and it's hurting these people who are survivors of horrible trauma. this is a trauma disorder. it's not something psychotic or mystical or anything really that should be dramatized for the sake of a film. these are trauma survivors and they deserve to be treated with respect and understanding and love.

i wrote this story when i was young and i was just a kid who watched a movie, liked it, and wanted to write something for it. i didn't consider how my work could affect systems, how my work could push harmful stereotypes just for the sake of entertainment. i was completely and utterly ignorant and uninformed. for that, i am sorry.

i hope that i've grown and learned from my mistakes. i hope that going forward, i can help stop misinformation surrounding did and actually participate in good representation for systems. i'm not perfect and i know i will probably still make mistakes, but i'm trying to be better and i encourage all of you to try, too.

i'm leaving this story up, if only for this message to get out there. i urge you to do your own research on did and know that i was just an uninformed kid who was writing a story for a movie that i enjoyed, that i didn't know was so harmful. i mean i'm probably the least qualified person to talk about this, i'm not part of a system, but i am trying to be better and do better.

i will no longer be continuing the sequel to this book. i cannot in good conscious continue to work on something that will actively hurt the did community.

thank you for reading.