Part 1

It was early evening.

MC was sitting at a table-for-two in a climactic coffee shop, stirring her café latte absentmindedly. The music was set to lovesongs and romantic instrumentals to facilitate conversations between the incomers.

Her unfocused gaze was alternating between various couples in the cafeteria: those incoming, those already sitting there, and those who were already leaving. They were swarming the place, infecting the air with broad, delighted smiles, enamored glances, and chaste kisses. Some were also exchanging gentle touches, lost in their own world.

It should have been a heartwarming sight. And yet, due to all that, she felt so very lonely...

MC held back sudden tears threatening to fall and looked down, angry for doing it all to herself.

She wasn't one to envy others, but, right then... she was feeling horribly jealous of every single person who had their significant other right next to them.

It was Valentine's Day.

And she wished for nothing else but a chance to meet with her own long-distance boyfriend.

Who was heavens-knew-where in the world at the moment.

However, she wasn't silly enough not to realize that it was a pipe dream.

And, all things considered, she really doubted he would know about the special occasion anyway. He was odd like that, she thought fondly and felt her heart ache a bit.

In fact, she was positive he had no idea there was something called the day of San Valentine. She'd talked to him the day before and he hadn't even realized there could be anything the matter when she tried to subtly hint at the circumstance.

MC: You know, I wish we could meet tomorrow.

Jake: Why tomorrow specifically?

Right. She sighed, her shoulders slumping. She could've predicted that.

MC: Ah...

MC: No reason... it's just, it would be extremely special, you know?

Jake: Our meeting in general would be special, I believe.

She held in a frustrated groan and almost gave up. Sometimes, he could be impossible, but she knew she couldn't hold it against him. Not with the kind of life he was forced to live.

MC: Well, of course. But tomorrow is... You really don't know?

After a long moment, he wrote:

Jake: I feel like I am missing something.

Eureka, she thought. Yet, she quickly shook her head and replied:

MC: Yes. You are. But that's okay

MC: Better tell me how you've been today

The conversation had continued for a while, but she was being a little short with him. On one hand, she knew it wasn't something she should expect from the hacker and his lack of interest in society and its norms, but she still had a tiny flame of hope he'd at least offer to talk over the phone to her.

Which, of course, didn't happen.

At the same time, she was being foolish. Why hadn't she just told him what she wanted? They talked about anything and everything, nothing remained secret between them... so, why was she choosing to hide that from him?

To make matters even worse, Lilly, his sister, had called her a while later, asking what her plans for Valentine's Day were.

"What do you mean, nothing?" She exclaimed.