『 Chapter 11: Earning Ones Trust 』

✵ ✵ ✵

You watched as the other teens fought against a Gronckle. Hiccup looked down at his hand, you noticed that in his grasp was something that looked like grass. The Gronckle turned and charged toward him, leaving him to hold up his hand and hold the grass in front of the dragon. It stopped head in its track and sniffed the grass before Hiccup scratched its nose with it and made the Gronckle roll over. You chuckled before suddenly noticing how many people were around the outside of the rink. It appeared that more and more people were coming to watch Hiccup.

Soon Gobber had put away the Gronckle, you watched as the group ran off towards the bridge, leaving you behind. Hiccup didn't even seem to notice you weren't there. You let out a sigh as you slowly made your way towards the entrance gate. As soon as you turned the corner you bumped right into Hiccup, sending you both falling backward. You dropped your crutch.

"Aw- man! I am so sorry! I didn't mean to leave you here I just- they didn't let me get away! I had to find some dumb excuse to come back. I'm so sorry!" He held his hand out for you to grab, and you hesitated for a second before taking it. He pulled you up off the ground and you accidentally put weight on your injured leg. You winced, expecting it to hurt, but you were surprised when you were met with a smaller amount of pain than you were used to.

You put a bit more weight on your leg, taking a small step forward and being met with slightly sharper pain.

"Did you just...?" Hiccup started, looking down at your leg.

You nodded, "How?" You looked up at him, hoping for an answer.

"I- I don't know! Maybe it was Rainsong? I mean, Silver Phantom's saliva does have healing properties." He said, causing you to suddenly notice his grip on your hand. You nodded before slowly pulling your hand away and leaning down to grab your crutch.

You leaned on it slightly, "I mean, it's a start I guess. It doesn't hurt as bad as before... so that's good! And it looks like I can walk a little on it, but it still hurts to walk on." You glanced up at Hiccup, you noticed a small smile on his face, "What?" You asked, wondering what was on his mind.

"She helped you."

Your eyes widened as you thought about it, "She did. She really did." You said with a small grin on your face, "Does this mean that she is starting to trust me?"

Hiccup nodded, "I think it does."

✵ ✵ ✵

A few weeks later the two of you had decided to go to the cove to visit your dragons, training had been going well for Hiccup, and Gothi had decided that you no longer needed your crutches, but you still had to put on the wrap and the solution on your leg.

You glanced over at Hiccup who was scratching Toothless, once he scratched a certain spot the dragon collapsed to the ground. You chuckled and looked over at the Silver Phantom who was sitting a little ways away before turning back to the boy and his dragon who were now chasing each other around. You felt a gust of air next to you before turning to see Rainsong had sat down, slightly curled around you.

"How are you doing Rainsong?" You asked, tilting your head slightly as you looked into her eyes. She let out what sounded like a soft hum, you assumed it was a good thing. Rainsong then leaned down and sniffed your leg, before poking it slightly with her nose, "Yeah, I am getting better, thanks to you, girl." You stood up and did a little twirl, showing the dragon that you could walk functionally. Rainsong made a laughing sound and you sat back down, "Hey, I think my twirls are amazing! I'd like to see you do a better one!"

The dragon seemingly let out a scoff before standing up and running in a circle, she looked like she was chasing her tail.

You let out a laugh and clutched the fabric of your shirt leaning back slightly, "Wow! So much better than mine Rain." Hearing a laugh from behind you, you turned and caught Hiccup's eye. He must have been watching the two of you because he was looking over in your direction and laughing. He had a sweet smile that caused butterflies in your stomach. Your face flushed slightly red before you turned away slowly.

You fiddled with your hands in your lap before hearing a sniffing noise from Rainsong, you glanced up and noticed a smug look on her face. You rolled your eyes and crossed your arms, trying to forget about the feeling.

"Psht- what???" You asked, avoiding her gaze.

She let out a huff before flopping her head on the ground, disappointed.

"Well, I just don't know what you want from me." You said, trying to avoid the subject.

✵ ✵ ✵

Astrid chucked her ax at the Nadder, the dragon deflected it and ran towards her and Hiccup, Astrid dodged out of the way and the dragon stopped right in front of Hiccup sniffing him. You watched as Astrid ran towards the Nadder she pulled her arms back and began to swing her ax at the dragon. Hiccup reached around the dragon and began scratching its neck before scratching a specific spot and it fell to the ground. After training was over you noticed you and Hiccup were getting some serious angry looks from Astrid.

The two of you stayed back as everyone else decided to go to the Great Hall. After a quick stop by the cove to give the dragons some food the two of you decided to finally head to the Hall. Hiccup opened the door and all heads turned towards the both of you. The two of you shared a look before walking over to your normal table, away from everyone else. Suddenly everyone moved from their tables over towards yours, swarming Hiccup and asking him questions that he didn't know the answers to. You glanced over and spotted Astrid hitting her cup against the table.

✵ ✵ ✵

Hiccup's fame had finally been catching up to the two of you, you were barely able to walk around the village without being swarmed, and the two of you always had to check if you were being followed before you went to the cove.

Hiccup grabbed a hammer and propped it up against a rock, the light reflecting off of it onto the ground. You watched as Toothless and Rainsong tried to catch the light. Both of them were failing miserably.

"Guys, please. It's not that hard. Allow me." You said, stepping over to where the light was being reflected right now and leaning over, acting as if you picked it up. You glanced over at Hiccup, and he smirked. You opened your hands revealing the light inside of it. Hiccup chuckled as he reflected the light into your hands.

The two dragons looked at you bewildered. You smiled before closing your hands and sending another playful took to Hiccup who now stopped reflecting the light into your hands. You opened your hands once more and waved your fingers around, "Tadah~" You said, showing that the light was gone. The two dragons shared a look, before softly tackling you. They carefully batted at you trying to find the light. You laughed as they poked you, rolling over slightly and sending Hiccup a pleading look. He smirked shrugging his shoulders.

"Hiccup- I swear-" You were interrupted by Rainsong's nose poking your side, sending you into a fit of laughs, "You- will- pay!"

✵ ✵ ✵