The beginning of the end

I was just 20 years old when it all started. I was finally getting my life together when all of a sudden it was molded into a ball of shit and thrown right back in my face. It was ending just as fast as it started, and I remember that day all too well like it was yesterday.

Class had finally ended and I was headed straight back to my apartment. It was an exhausting day to say the least and all I wanted was to be wrapped up in my blanket with Sato, my 5 year old Irish wolfhound, and fall asleep to whatever random show Netflix chose for me. Getting home, I threw on my pj's, grabbed my laptop, and slid into bed with Sato already waiting for me. It wasn't long after I started the show that I had drifted off to sleep.

I was woken up by the building suddenly starting to shake. Sato whimpered and I was quick to calm him with a pet, "It's okay pup, it's just an earthqua-" my words were quickly cut off by the sight of the building across from mine being blown up to pieces.

When I tell you my heart dropped out of my ass.

I was quick to throw on some clothes, my boots, jeans, and a t-shirt. I snatched Sato's leash, grabbed my bag, and we dashed out of the apartment door. Everyone in the building was frantically running and screaming, saying it was a terrorist attack. People were crying and cursing.

Sato was right on my hip as we both booked it out of the building, stopping to take in the horrible image of people being attacked by other people. They were biting everyone.

It was complete chaos. My heart was beating a million miles a minute now before snapping out of it and dashing for my truck. Usually, I would throw Sato in the back but in a time like this, I definitely don't want my dog to get attacked.

I stepped on the gas towards the backroads, knowing the main ones would be blocked off. As we kept driving, we passed by more people. I noticed that they were eating them. None of them seem to be dying either with the way they keep walking after officers just unloaded full clips into them.

A girl was running and screaming at me to stop and to let her in, I began slowing down but she was quickly snatched and eaten right in front of me by 5 of those things. I took off again and finally made it to the back roads.

"What the fuck is going on!?" I turned on the radio but it was nothing but static.

Sato whimpered again pawing at my free arm, "I know, I know, pup. We gotta go to the barn and pick up Grim. Then we will go to Daddy's farm."

After 30 minutes of driving, we finally made it to the barn. Everything seemed to be okay and normal. Jumping out I was quick to approach my friend Jamie.

"Jamie!"

"Beck! Hey, are you okay? You look like you've been through hell," she chuckled.

"Do you have no idea what's going on right now? The city was just attacked! People are dying and some weren't! Literally they were being shot in the chest and kept walking like nothing was happening! Those same people were also eating other people!" I frantically spoke.

She looked so confused, "Beck's, slow down. You're starting to worry me. That isn't funny 'neither."

"This is no joke! I would try to prove it but the radio isn't working and i'm not going back there," I panted, trying to catch my breath.

"I-" Jamie was cut off by a blood curdling scream coming from the barn. We both took off towards it and were greeted with the sight of Kenzie's horse being eaten by someone.