01

Margo Roth Spiegelman climbed through Quentin Jacobsen's college dorm window. She needed help... Again. And she needed it bad.

So she chose him again.

"Who the fuck- Margo?" Quentin awoke from his sleep.

"Oh my god, Margo." He shoved off the covers off him, and hugged her.

"I need your help." She said. She was dressed in all black again. A ninja. Just like before.

"Is this some sort of reenactment?" He whispered.

"No... Well yes. Sort of. I really do need your help. I just figured to come through the window in black for old times sake." She explained, in a hushed whisper.

"Why do you need my help? And if it involves catfish then no, my hands smelled like catfish for like, a month." He recalled.

She laughed and shook her head. Even in the dark, Q could see her shake her head. She rolled up her black sleeves, as Q turned on the light, and it shone brighter than the dazzling moon outside, hiding behind the green hills.
Q took Margo's bruised arms.

"Margo, what the hell happened?" Purple and blue bruises marked her arms, big and plump. They were swelling a tiny bit, and the long Q looked at them, the more worried he got.

"I was having financial problems and I just... I thought 'Maybe if I get a boyfriend he could help me'. And when I did, he started abusing me. I ran away, like I always do from my problems, and he won't stop at anything to find me. I need you to help me." She said quickly. The words spewed out of her mouth like she had practiced her speech in a mirror millions of times. Q's heart ached for her, as he took in the information. His heart hurt at the thought of Margo being hurt, and Margo with another man.

"One more thing, I applied to college here. I'm staying across the hall." She said like it was nothing. Q squeezed her tight, and closed his eyes. She wrapped her arms around him, and smiled.

She missed him.
He missed her.

"Lacey, Ben, and Radar decided to come here as well." He said.

"Radar?" She asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"Oh, I mean Marcus." He explained.

"I missed you Margo."

"I missed you too, Q."

They touched pinkies again, just like they had the night before she left for that Paper Town.

"He looked perfect. Until I got closer to him. Everything's uglier up close." She sighed.

"Not you." Quentin stared into Margo's beautiful ocean blue eyes.

"Not this again." She groaned and laughed.

"No but really."

That's all it took for Margo to attach her lips to Q's.

"This is gonna be one hell of a story." He said, when they pulled away.

"Hell yeah it is."

•••

Margo knocked on Q's door in the morning. He opened it, and let her in.

"Some dude said you'd be showing me around." She said, sitting on the bed.

"Yeah. Let's go."

They met Ben, Radar, and Lacey in the hallway.

"Q, hey- OH MY GOD!" Lacey screamed.

"Woah. Calm down." Margo said, walking towards her. They had ended on a rocky note, but it seemed that was all aside.

"Hi, Margo." Ben said, smiling a bit. Radar did the same, but Margo was too busy hugging her best friend to care.

"Not to be rude or anything, but why are you here?" Ben questioned.

"That, my friend, is one hell of a story." She grinned.

"Should I be scared?" Ben whispered to Radar. Radar shrugged, and they started off towards their classes.

"Okay, Margo. You got all my classes. Until lunch. You and Lacey are both taking journalism, so you'll go with her later." Q explained, as they entered the Math class. They sat down, on the smallish plastic chairs attached to he desk.

The teacher took attendance.

"Em Lankerfield?"

"Here!"

"Amelia Esquette?"

"Here!"

"Katt Filer?"

Dead silence.

A series of "Where's Katt?" This girl, "Katt" has never been absent. Katt was a sweet girl, but had trust issues. She had long blonde hair, and piercing blue eyes. She was short, maybe 5'1".

"Alright alright! Maybe she's just sick! Settle down, class."

The names rolled on and on.

"Ah, Margo Spiegelman. The new student. Stand up, introduce yourself."

"I'm Margo, and... I like mysteries." She said, confidently.

No one ever knew every single thing about her. She loved mysteries so much, she became one.

She sat back down, and Q gave her a thumbs up. But Margo didn't see. She was focussed on something else, outside the window.

After all, she was still a mystery.