The adoption

"Sam?" Tommy asked from the back of the car. "Where am I going Sam?"

"You're, uh... You're going to a new home. A new guardian. An old friend of Phil's." Sam answered.

Seven year old Tommy kicked his feet. He didn't reach the floor yet, he was too short. "Why? Why can't I go live with Techno?"

"Techno isn't... prepared for a child." Sam answered.

"Oh." Tommy said. He let the silence stretch around the car for a few minutes. "Does this person... Is there girls there?"

"What?" Sam asked, looking in the rearview mirror in shock. "Why?"

"My last house had girls. I like girls." Tommy answered.

Sam sighed, but Tommy thought he was trying not to laugh. "Tommy, listen," he said. "After this, there isn't anywhere for you to go. I- we don't have another home for you. Please try to be good. For me?"

Tommy nodded. "I-I'll try." Sam was his only friend so Tommy would try for him.

He didn't see Sam often, only every six months or so. He tried making friends, but then he'd do something wrong to his new family and be taken away from them. He did try, every time. He was just... not good at being a good kid. He was crazy, loud, funny, never serious, and no one could ever handle him.

Tommy kicked the passenger seat again. "Sam, am I a bad kid?" he asked.

Sam looked at him, confused, in the rearview mirror. "No, Tommy. Why would you think that?"

Tommy thought for a moment before saying "Don't... don't good kids grow up with one family, not eight?"

Phil, Wilbur, Techno, his mom passed when Tommy was two. Then the seven foster homes afterwards.

"Less adventurous kids do." Sam answered. "But you like an adventure, don't you?"

Tommy smiled. "Yeah, I do."

"We're here." Sam said. He pulled into the driveway of a normal, two-story, white house with black trim and a black roof. It fit in perfectly and seemed kind of... boring. There was a man waiting outside, smiling. He was wearing a green hoodie, black jeans, and black tennis shoes.

"Sam," he said with a smile. "And you must be Tommy. I'm Dream." He bent down to look Tommy in the eyes. "I'm your new guardian."

"Dream, Tommy, I'll let you two get situated. Dream I am required to make a standard check in six months from now. I'll see you then. Goodbye Tommy." Sam walked to his car and Dream led Tommy into his house. "This is where you'll be living." He gestured to the entry hallway. "Hello? I expect you to speak when spoken to."

Tommy winced, he'd already done something wrong. "I-It's nice." He stuttered.

"Hmm. Follow." Dream commanded.

Tommy followed him throughout the house. "Kitchen, dining room, living room. I don't live with much, I'm kind of a minimalist. I expect you to be the same way."

Tommy nodded. "I don't have much." he murmured.

Dream smiled. "That's good. We'll make sure to get you the essentials. Come, upstairs."

Tommy followed his new guardian up the white carpet stairs. Trying to break the silence he said "My old house never had carpet. It's nice."

Dream looked at Tommy. "Yes. Well, I had it put in. Everything has been earned in this house. Everything has to be earned in this house. You're lucky. I'm allowing you full access to the house, and the backyard. Except for that doorway down there." He pointed down a hallway, to a door that didn't look any different. "That's my private room. Do not enter, even if the house is on fire. Do you understand?"