Rick Or Nothing

Daryl came back from a run with Aaron. They were in good spirits after having caught a few rabbits and Aaron went home content. Daryl wondered around for a bit, just letting himself have some time alone before he went home. He just needed a breath. Being with Aaron was fun and all, and even if they hadn't found people they did find rabbits like he had promised. But he wanted a moment before he went back to the biggest family he had ever known.

His nearly cheerful demeanor was squashed the moment his boot hit the porch. Carl was sitting there, looking like he had been hit by a bus. His eyes were bloodshot and his hat hung between his hands. His Rick like hair was messed up and he looked like he hadn't moved for hours. "What's going on?" Daryl asked. Carl didn't answer, but just gestured inside.

Inside, they all looked as bad as Carl. Judith, in the corner, wined and cried. Daryl went over and picked her up, hugging her close to him. "Hey hey. Hey there Lil Asskicker. Calm down honey. That's it Judith." The little girl quieted in his arms. "She hasn't stopped crying for hours. We tried everything. Feeding her, changing her, holding her." Carol told him quietly. "She wants her father." Maggie whimpered. "Where is he?" Daryl asked. No one spoke.

"Where is he?" Daryl demanded, harsher this time. Judith whined in his arms and he bounced with her, calming her. "Deanna," Glenn began but stopped. Daryl began to fear the worst. "Deanna banished him." Eugene finished for him after a moment. "What?!" Daryl had to refrain from yelling, but even more so, refrain from killing Deanna with his bare hands. He held onto Judith tighter, his little piece of Rick. "So he's out there? Alone?"
"Deanna won't let us leave." Sasha answered after a moment. "Screw that." Daryl practically yelled. The others winced and Judith sobbed. "Oh. Darling. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Shush." Judith quieted again. A long silence ensued.

After Judith had fallen asleep, Daryl stood over her crib, looking down at the little girl. "I'm going after him." The others looked at Daryl quizzically. "The boy and the little one," Daryl motioned to Judith, "Need their father. Alone. He could die. Become walker food. Or worse." The archer paused. "Could you really shoot Rick if he was the next walker pounding on that gate?" No one answered.

"I'll go out. Find him. Get him somewhere safe." The redneck looked back at his little girl. He didn't know where, but along the way, Carl and Judith had become his. Just as Rick had become his. When he noticed Rick and Jessie getting close, he knew he couldn't stay. The others had filled him in on why Rick was banished. But whether Rick's heart was with Daryl or not, Rick didn't deserve to be alone. "I want to go with you." Carl muttered from the doorway. "No." Daryl responded. "But-" Daryl cut him off. "I said no. I leave all the time. But if you come with me, Deanna will catch on to what we're doing. And then all of us could be out."

"And what's your plan? Once you do find Rick. If you find him." Carol asked. "I don't know." He looked around at his ragtag family. It was the biggest one he'd ever known. And they all were there for one another, even in ways Merle hadn't been for him. "We leave." Carl said. "What?" Glenn asked.
"Once Daryl finds my dad, he'll come back and let us know. And we'll leave." Every stayed silent. "Look, no matter what he did, we need him and he needs us. I tried just for two days to be on my own. I need my dad. And so does Judith. In a way, we all need him. Anyone who wants to stay can. I see the lure of this place. But we belong out there, with him." Daryl couldn't help but grin at the boy. "Judith and I will go with Dad." Carl said. His voice was absolute and held no room for compromise. And Daryl could see the officer in his son.

"Acourse I'll be there too." The redneck stated. "Me too." Maggie piped up. "Are you sure?" Glenn asked. "Yes. I trust Rick. And Carl's right. He needs us. And we need him." Glenn nodded then turned his gaze to Daryl. "You heard my wife. We're in." One by one, the group made their choices. In the end, they all choose to leave. Even weak Tara, who had finally woken, choose Rick and family over luxury.
"I'll leave in the morning." Daryl said. Then next to Judith's crib. He fell asleep.

It took three days for Daryl to find Rick. The sheriff had moved far enough away to avoid detection, but not that far so as to be leaving his children behind. But Rick didn't look good. He nearly collapsed at the sight of Daryl and it took Daryl two days to nurse him back into a working state. "Daryl." Rick muttered in his half sleep. "What?" Daryl opened his eyes to look at the beaten man. Rick looked so weak, but his vivid eyes gleamed with strength whenever he looked at Daryl. "Don't leave me."

"I have to go back to get everyone. I told them I'd find you and then we'd leave and come to you." Rick shook his head. "Not what I meant." Daryl cocked and eyebrow. "Then what?" Rick fought to sit up and he pushed Daryl's hand away when Daryl tried to help him. The officer looked Daryl dead in the eye. "When we arrived, I tried like hell to make it seem normal. Tried to force myself to be who I was. I went crazy trying to be the me I know I can't be anymore. And I tried to force myself to fall for someone, because..." He trailed off. "Because?" Daryl prompted. "Because I..." Rick huffed with frustration then in a quick jerk, he pulled Daryl too him. Their lips collided.

It took Daryl a fraction of a second to catch up and then he was pulling Rick against him. They clung to each other for dear life, drawing breath and life and strength from the other. Daryl hadn't know Rick felt this way, but then, when he thought the former sheriff couldn't surprise him anymore, he did. The man pulled off his ring, and threw it out the window. Daryl gapped in amazement. "The only person I want now, is you. I love you Daryl Dixon." Daryl felt his face flush. "I love you too Rick Grimes." Rick's smile warmed Daryl from the inside out. "Tomorrow, go get our kids and family. Ok?" Daryl nodded. "Ok."

If the others knew why Daryl was so happy, they didn't let on. Nothing made Daryl smiled wider though than when Rick nearly tackled Carl when he ran up to hug his son. Daryl went to hand Judith to the happy dad, but instead Rick pulled Daryl into his embrace as well. Judith giggled from her position between the two. Rick kissed Daryl's cheek and Daryl was glad for the mop of hair that covered his blushing face.

What would they do now? The didn't know. But they were together. And they were happy with that.

--------

Got this from a Tumblr tag. Don't know who the original creator is but if you do just let me know and I'll make sure to mention them.