3 ;; Butterfly Estate

Your eyes fly open with a loud gasp, sitting up which sends a jolt of pain up to your head. My head, it hurts. What happened? Gritting your teeth with parted lips, you look around with wide eyes.

Quickly returning to a somewhat calm state when you see your older sister, sleeping like a baby by your side, her head nestled on the free space besides you.

This must be the butterfly estate.
You look around still partially wary, still feeling a little unsettled from the Uppermoon you came across — quite literally being the only demon second to Kibutsuji Muzan in terms of power.

As you try to move in the slightest, a burning pain spreads throughout your chest like a wildfire. Your open palm slamming against your lips to hopefully lower the sound of a raspy, sore cough about to erupt from your throat.

Holy [ REDACTED ], what happened?
You think to yourself with pleated brows, your other hand clutching onto the blanket draped over your lap. "Kan..." About to call out for your sister as an attempt to awaken her, your throat immediately closes up.

The hand previously covering your mouth, now gently moves to hold onto your now extremely dry throat. Using your other hand to wake Kanroji up, her head immediately raises with a loud 'HUH?!'.

You arch a brow out of concern for the pink-haired girl, before she finally turns to look at your fully conscious figure with a loud mortified screaming from the top of her lungs like she saw a ghost.

"Are you alright, Sei-san?" Shinobu asks with her signature smile, which you find somewhat odd as you barely see her lips take a different form other than a curled one. "You shouldn't be moving, since you have around thirteen of your ribs fractured. So far, only Kanroji and I know about your encounter with the Uppermoon."

"Ah... M–my crow!" You stutter in fear for what could've possibly happened to your companion, almost having sat up again if Shinobu didn't forcefully hold a hand out over you.

"[ Name ], you gotta rest!!" Mitsuri verbally retaliates over you clearly wanting — no, needing to check on your crow. "Your injuries might worsen, you know..." She sighs.

"But..." Your sentence trails off with a frown, gaze raising to the ceiling. "Fine."

"Anyhow, there is one thing I must ask you about. Will you tell Master about your encounter with that very Uppermoon... or do you want to keep quiet about the whole ordeal?"

Her words struck you like a lightning bolt, a confused and baffled expression carving your features. "Uh...–"

"I'm guessing it'll be the latter, no? I'm purely asking this for your sake — since you're a nice girl, Sei-san. But your silence may very well violate the Demon Slayer corps rule, shall I give you some time to think about it?" Out of consideration for you, Kocho offers you some time to yourself.

"Kocho-san... Isn't that just too cruel?!" The pink-haired girl speaks up, and now your confusion just deepens. Just what is happening to you? And why the heck do you gotta deal with it?

Shinobu glances momentarily at you, to probably catch a glimpse of your expression. "We should give her some time to herself, she does need to recover after all." O... Her smile. Her smile had faded into a thin line, her face now displaying a blank expression.

"..." Oh. Great. Now the atmosphere is all solemn and depressing. You wish you could say something... but speaking feels like a hard chore, now. This is so friggin' awkward... You huff with sealed lips, eyelids dropping down to just contemplate the decisions Kocho gave.

"Uhm..." Mitsuri awkwardly mutters, "you don't think she needs water, or anything...?" She points to you — your throat specifically, hoping to be of help in any way at least.

"Oh." The Insect Hashira emits a little sound, having remembered. "Sorry, I'll go ahead and get a cup of water." Her usual, gentle smile returns, and you exhale in relief.

Oh thank God.

. . . But is Mitsuri just gonna stay by your side for the remainder of your stay, or what?

Oh [ REDACTED ].
Your Katana. Where did it go? Oh [ REDAAAAAAAACTED ], Haganezuka is so gonna kill me. A cold chill runs down your spine in horror of the thought of him running after you at full speed being vividly replayed in your mind.

Yes, replayed. Because he chased you from dusk till dawn once when you went on a mission before, and your Katana was snapped in half by the demon.

Even the other Hashiras wouldn't have been able to save you from that predicament...–

You've been at the Estate for two days now, and you've regained your ability to talk. Kanroji is out on a mission, due to her duty as a Pillar.

And a certain someone wanted to pay you a visit today, what a nice surprise!

"Hm? Kanao?" You look at the black-haired girl — Kanao, Shinobu's Tsuguko and adoptive sister, adorning her usual uniform. "Why're you here?"

She blinks up at you silently, and you both are now just there with awkward silence filling the room.

... ah.

How do you always get yourself into the worst situations? Man.

Word Count: 924

A/N: Yeesh this is short af for a rewrite. Planned to make this longer but it's 12 AM and got practice for SMT tomorrow, I wanted to update this now, too.

I'll probably add a new chapter to follow up after this, but it depends...!!